Good Karma

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seeyal8r

Feeling the Heat
Jan 20, 2011
Central Oklahoma
Answered a CL ad for "all you can haul firewood $40". Since I've got a 16' trailer and a 3/4 ton truck I figured it would be worth $40 for all I could haul....

So I get to this guys house and he tells he he is a 100% full time tree service. He has wood stacked everywhere and I tell him this is the first time I've ever paid for wood and we visit for almost an hour before he asks if i'll haul off some really old stuff that is too far gone for him to sell as firewood. I said sure. He and his helpers loaded up my truck and trailer with about 70% good wood and 30% too far gone wood. When he was done I asked what I owed he said $20 for helping him clear some space. Truck was loaded down on the drive home. I split all the rounds and unloaded the mostly rotted stuff near our outdoor fire pit. On Sunday (yesterday) the guy calls me up and says he has a couple tree trimming and a couple removal jobs in my area. All white oak and asks if I'd like them to dump dump truck loads in my driveway. I said sure but asked him a price. He said $20/load.

This just gets better and better and all because I made a friend and helped him out by spending a little time cleaning up his place.

Reactions: ScotO and smokinj
Its been my experience that most people on CL are extremely friendly. I think I had one AH in 5+ years in dealing with CL.

Its been my experience that most people on CL are extremely friendly. I think I had one AH in 5+ years in dealing with CL.

Yeah this guy was super nice. Might end up with a lot of cheap wood.

Reactions: ScotO
I would be happy to pay $20 for dump truck loads of wood at my house. Nice score!

Tree guys are all overloaded with work and wood this year. Storms after storms after storms and now a warm winter. Take the good while the gettin' is good. Good people recognize other good people too. That is a compliment to you.

you, sir, have hit the Holy Grail in the firewood world. It wouldn't hurt to throw him a tip now and then (find out what his favorite beer is, or restaurant. Get him a gift certificate sometime). Sounds like you made out (and will continue to do so) very well!

you, sir, have hit the Holy Grail in the firewood world. It wouldn't hurt to throw him a tip now and then (find out what his favorite beer is, or restaurant. Get him a gift certificate sometime). Sounds like you made out (and will continue to do so) very well!
Its funny you say that. While visiting the other day with this guy I mentioned something about a bottle of Crown Royal. He grinned pretty big so I see a few pints in my future. I sure don't mind cutting trees, as a matter of fact I enjoy it much like the folks on here but I can't pass up a deal like cheap good wood dumped in my yard.

I cut trees every week (its my side job) and I can guarantee you I wouldn't turn a deal down like that!

Status
Not open for further replies.