Good laugh for Backwoods and Quads

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
Well, I have some beautiful black walnut in the back of my truck. I was splitting right through it with grace and speed. Just roll them out and swing at it where it lands. "Boy," I think, "this would make for a great video!" so I got out my cell phone and made an attempt again.

Was originally gonna be a thread poking fun at those who split vertically. Even thought about using just the fiskars. Not so much. Didn't quite turn out the way I wanted, but oh well. Gimme a second to get the YouTube link...

Cool video
Easy splitting wood.
It hurt me just a bit, walnut for fire wood, AAAARG. Sure pretty wood.
$$ per board foot is very expensive here.
But you burn what you got.

bogydave said:
Cool video
Easy splitting wood.
It hurt me just a bit, walnut for fire wood, AAAARG. Sure pretty wood.
$$ per board foot is very expensive here.
But you burn what you got.
LoL, did you have your sound on? I said that, too! I've got access to more walnut than 20 people could burn in a lifetime!

Good video Danno. Nice straight grained stuff with great color.I see loads of peppermills,candlesticks,lidded boxes & other $$$$ making items there. :coolgrin:

Just don't go burning the gnarly crotches and such. They make awesome looking bowls that shimmer in the light as you turn them in your hands.

You guys are killing me! It's all going into the stove unless jay brings the 880 and mill.

Danno77 said:
You guys are killing me! It's all going into the stove unless jay brings the 880 and mill.

Danno77, hold out for smokin's GF with the pink chaps.

zap

Battenkiller said:
Just don't go burning the gnarly crotches and such. They make awesome looking bowls that shimmer in the light as you turn them in your hands.

Yup. I've seen some at art shows from well known artists that sold for 3 grand or more before the recession.

zapny said:
Danno77 said:

Danno77, hold out for smokin's GF with the pink chaps.

zap
Funny you mention those. I was in the farm store today hoping they would carry them. They do not, but you know what they do have? Over in the hunting section they have a bunch of pink camo undergarments and nighties. Very tempting, but I didn't get them for fear I couldn't find Mrs. Danno at night ;-)

That was a fun video. I've never seen anyone hand-split horizontally, but it was working for you on
that wood.

northwinds said:
That was a fun video. I've never seen anyone hand-split horizontally, but it was working for you on
that wood.
I've wondered if it could somehow improve my golf swing. I'm going to theorize that it does not, because I stink at golf and split like this quite a bit.

Nice video! It's a good thing that Fiskars is lighter than your maul though, otherwise a guy could get wore out faster using it. HAHA! I can't wait to get one of those......

quads said:
Nice video! It's a good thing that Fiskars is lighter than your maul though, otherwise a guy could get wore out faster using it. HAHA! I can't wait to get one of those......
I'm not a huge fan of fiskars, but it definitely has it's place. Someday i'll get me one of those x27 ones with the longer handle. Won't be replacing the 8lb maul with it, though. I can't think of anything that could convince me to put that tool in a corner somewhere.

That's funny. Never saw anyone split wood that way. Almost looks like the lazy method.
Fine looking wood though.

tamarack said:
That's funny. Never saw anyone split wood that way. Almost looks like the lazy method.
LoL, who'd a thunk there was a lazy way to split wood?

Danno77 said:
tamarack said:
I split them that way sometimes too. Especially if it's one that is already coming apart and tips over. Many times it doesn't even have to be hit on the end, but just give it a good whack on the side and it will split.

You do really good with that 8# maul Danno. 8 has always been too heavy for me. 6 is just right for me....in between the 8 and the lighter axes. The best of both worlds. It's just heavy enough to give some meaning to the swing, yet light enough that I can swing it fast all day and not get worn out. Of course, not just any 6# will do. My old antique maul has the best shape. It's not too slender nor sharp like an ax so that it doesn't stick in the round very much. It's not too blunt like the modern 6# mauls are, which just give a thud the first time or two I swing. The old maul splits on the first swing nearly every time.

quads said:
Danno77 said:
tamarack said:
I split them that way sometimes too.
Pretty sure I first got the idea from a video you posted... Then I started thinking about how much energy one wastes bending over and trying to set them back up. Granted, this just doesn't work with more difficult woods, but it does work with nice oak and walnut.

I had a close call with my Fiskars when I first got it. Gave me a new respect for it right away. I have to say, watching you split horizontally with it like that makes my crotch hurt.... >:-(

Danno77 said:
quads said:
I split them that way sometimes too.
Pretty sure I first got the idea from a video you posted... Then I started thinking about how much energy one wastes bending over and trying to set them back up. Granted, this just doesn't work with more difficult woods, but it does work with nice oak and walnut.
Probably this one from March 2010:

Danno, I just assumed most everyone had split some wood that way. Perhaps I should not say it but we used to have a few contests amongst friends. Place both feet tight against the log to hold it in place and then split it. Not the best thing to do for sure but I don't ever remember anyone getting hurt or missing on a swing. lol Will it improve your golf swing? Maybe. But think, if you'd stood each log up, mother earth would have helped you out a bit. Still nice to mess around occasionally. Glad you had some fun with it.

EDIT: I'm with quads on the 6 lb.

Status
Not open for further replies.