1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Good load today

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Wilhelm911, May 27, 2013.

1. Wilhelm911

Wilhelm911 Member

Loc:
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    Got to borrow a buddy and his dump trailer this morning to grab a nice load of wood. Gatta get myself a trailer like this! Got to test out my new (to me) ms192, love that little thing! The wood consisted of some red oak, birch but mostly this mystery wood. I believe it's sassafras, it smells wonderful! Can anyone confirm for me? Also threw in some pics of my work area and stacks.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369698367.486571.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369698395.237337.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369698414.065818.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369698433.967427.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369698453.099986.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369698471.136233.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369698493.879578.jpg

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Locust Post

Locust Post Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast Ohio
    That split round in the tire is locust. Watch out Hearth.com Members don't find out you have that. He may be sneakin in unannounced. ;)
    smokinj likes this.
  3. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Actually, LP, that round in the tire sure looks like sassafras to me. the red heart in the bark says sassy. I'm betting it smells like lemons....

And LP.....don't tell him about my addiction to locust......how am I ever going to be able to do a covert mission if you let my secret out!?
  4. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Yassir, that's Sass. ==c
  5. Wilhelm911

Wilhelm911 Member

Loc:
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    Definitely isn't locust, I've got some of both kinds in the stacks. It's got a great smell but I can't quite put my finger on it. Sasparrilla or birch beer maybe?
    Backwoods Savage and ScotO like this.
  6. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Yep.....That'd be sassy fraz!
  7. Wilhelm911

Wilhelm911 Member

Loc:
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    Awesome thanks guys. Can anyone tell me what sas burn characteristics are like? I'm thinking a year dry time for how light the stuff is. Shoulder season wood I'm guessing?
  8. Paulywalnut

Paulywalnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    It burns quickly like silver maple. Dries like that also. 1 or 2 years seasoned.
  9. USMC80

USMC80 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Sass
  10. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    No matter how it burns or how quickly it dries, just cutting it and enjoying the sweet aroma is worth a lot! I've said many times it is the sweetest smelling wood on earth.

Give it a year to dry and all will be well. You won't want to use it for overnight fires but for daytime or in spring or fall, it is good. Sassafras also has another characteristic in that it keeps really well. We've used it for fence posts even without treating it!
  11. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Sassy

You don't want to spoil yourself with the first trailer being a dump trailer.
    Dual axle dump trailer would be sweet.

Nice pile of rounds (is that one trailer laod ? :) )
    & some great looking stacks
  12. Ram 1500 with an axe...

Ram 1500 with an axe... Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    image.jpg just checking.... That wood in the tire looks like this load, I thought it too was black locust. Can you please explain the difference.....thanks
  13. Applesister

Applesister Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Who is the maker on the trailer? I like the expanded metal panels on the top. Fancy little touch. Nice trailer. Nice pile of wood too.
  14. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    Look at the difference in the bark betwixt the two and you'll see a big difference. For example just look at the thickness of the bark and the depth of it.
  15. Wilhelm911

Wilhelm911 Member

Loc:
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    Also the locust usually has the big "X"s in the bark. The sassafras however has "strait" grooved bark.

Bogydave - yes that is one load

Applesister - not sure of the trailer manufacturer. Ill have to check it out next time. The metal side boards really come in handy, but are tough to throw rounds over top of!!
  16. osagebow

osagebow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Nice score-youre gonna be craving root Beer now! Ram- Locust is also much more dense. Sass is light stuff. You could toss that standing piece in the middle easily if it was sass. Poles are great to stack on.
  17. Ram 1500 with an axe...

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Thanks Dennis, I was fooled by that wood in the tire, I know I'm just learning all about wood, thanks for clearing it up for me, I definitely see what you are talking about now, i know Scotty knows his wood and I am just a rookie but I had to ask... thanks all
  18. Locust Post

Locust Post Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast Ohio
    It fooled me too at first Ram and I cut a lot of black locust. I saw the rough bark and the yellow inside and right away thought locust.
  19. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    Ram, you will no doubt surprise yourself at how quickly you gain knowledge of the different types of wood. Still, this skill comes at different speeds for some folks just like some take to math while others struggle with it all their lives. The difference is you will soon come to the point of getting perhaps 6 different types of wood for burning. You will then be noticing the difference in the bark between the young and older trees and also the difference in the limbs vs the trunk. Some go mostly by the leaf while I simply have never really took the time to ID by leaf except for the really simple ones like the oaks and maples. Then you run into some that are oddly shaped, like the sassafras and yellow (tulip) popple. You learn a little here and a little there, sort of like you've learned many other skills you have. Although I once was a logger and also a sawyer, I still struggle at times with different woods and have a terrible time most of the time with just pictures. But you will learn and don't ever stop asking.
  20. Ram 1500 with an axe...

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Thanks Bud, I appreciate that.... Talk to you soon
    Backwoods Savage likes this.