Good Looking Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alfiredup

Aug 25, 2008
Eastern Long Island , NY
Having ruled out a grate heater,(with the help of this forum), I now have to convince my partner that there is a nice looking insert to be the center of attraction in our living room, which you can be seen immediately when you walk into our 1500 sq ft ranch. We've looked at Quad, Vermont Casting, and Hampton. So, are there wood burning inserts with beauty and brains?

Jotul Rockland c550

jotul_c350_winterport.jpg

Ditto's on the Rockland C550. My wife and I looked at a bunch of inserts. Our search ended when we saw the Jotul - very functional and aesthetic all rolled up into one.

alfiredup said:
It does look very nice. I see efficiency and warranty is not as good as some but does it really make a difference?
I would use all the facts to make the best decsion for you

Warranty is important. Stuff breaks!

I wouldn't obsess over these specs too much. They are all fairly efficient. The spec you want is firebox capacity and size. The insert should fit your fireplace and should not be so big that your concerns about overheating come into play. Try to stick with a unit that is 2 to 2.5 cu ft and you should be fine. The Jotul C550 is 3 cu ft and likely a bit too large for your needs. Jotuls carry a 5 year warranty which should cover all defects if there are any.

Some inserts in this range are the Pacific Energy Pacific D1, Jotul C450, Regency i2400, Hampton HI300, Quadrafire 3100i, Napoleon 1402, Avalon Rainier (same as Lopi Revere). The Vermont Castings Montpelier is a newcomer. It looks like a nice unit, but so far we have no feedback or repair history on it. It's predecessor was not so warmly received.

Agreed, it's a beauty, though at 2.9 cu ft it may be pushing the size limit a bit. The room is 200 sq ft and the primary concern expressed is overheating, so I'm being conservative staying in the 2 to 2.5 cu ft range.

We loved the look of the Jotul 550 also,its amazing in the iron color, unfortunately for us the wait time is now into January. Heads up on that.

Don't forget to keep in mind how much hearth you have to work with. I bought a Declaration this summer and it's "close to flush" profile was a major consideration. I took a long look at the Hampton, but I would have needed a hearth extension.

Here is a pic of my Regency with its first fire to give you and idea.

Shipper

Attachments

• First fire.jpg
    First fire.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,402
bigdaddybry I have the same insert. Jotul 550. How did you get it flush with the brick on the top and the sides? My insert sticks out about and inch on the top and sides but is flush on the bottom. Looks like a large fire for one of your break in ones. Good luck with it,hope it heats the square footage you want it to.

I really liked the Avalon Olympic, which seems like it would be good for your needs. I ended up buying the Jotul C550 because it ended up being the best deal for me.

Another Regency with a gold door.

Attachments

• PICT0004.jpg
    PICT0004.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,037
here are pics of the install of my Jotul Rockland this past May so you can get an idea of its construction and size.

Rockland Install

I was fortunate enough to start thinking about heating oil costs when it was still cold here in CT from this past winter, and used this web forum for a lot of research as I am a complete woodburning n00b. I was able to purchase my Rockland from stock my local store had and had only to wait 2 weeks for install. I hear it started getting crazy at the store just a month after I bought.

I am constantly reminding my wife what a smart husband she has for my forward thinking!

OK.. This week I'll be looking at The Pacific insert and the Jotul. Thank you all for your help. Thanks Eileen for the tip on Ashwood for they carry both inserts. I can't wait to see them!!

alfiredup said:
OK.. This week I'll be looking at The Pacific insert and the Jotul. Thank you all for your help. Thanks Eileen for the tip on Ashwood for they carry both inserts. I can't wait to see them!!

The PE should cost a few hundred less and from all reports will be an awesome insert. The Jotul midsize is real nice as well. Don't worry about their warranty, as they have been around for over 100 yrs. I imagine you will come home with whichever is in stock.
Best of luck, enjoy.

I liked the Jotel but went for the VC Montpelier. Delivery was a few weeks instead of a few months. Both fit in my fire place but the VC had larger fire box. The Montpelier also had really nice cast details like the jotel. VC is what we had in the 70s and 80s so that is why we went for it. Unfortunatly its a new model so not much news on it! Im hoping someone post some pics or vidio of it in action! I also liked the Lopi Freedom It had a nice heavy door reminded me of an old steam engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.