Good luck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pistonslap

Burning Hunk
Oct 7, 2006
southwestern Pa.
I got a call from my sister while I was at work tonight. She called from a friend's house to tell me that they had a tree cut down and did I want some of the wood. She said they had a sign on it that said first come first served. I figured it would be some small shrub I could use for kindling. I said sure, took a drive past the place on my lunch. It was a couple of big silver maples about 2' in diameter cut in 2' lengths which is the right size for my furnace and it is all stacked on the edge of the sidewalk on a very busy 2 lane street. There is at least 1 cord there. They said it is a very quiet neighborhood and they don't want anybody gettting the wood at night. I'll be up at first light trying to beat the other scavengers. BTW, it is only 10 minutes from my house.

Better get there early! Someone will be there at first light.

Yup...better have "all your gear" ready to go at first light.
As someone who cuts trees for $$$ ...I'll recomend this: Take a trash barrel, steel rake, a flexi rake, and a flat shovel (or grain shovel with you) to cleanup after you take the wood. If you make the effort...and word gets back to the outfit that cut the trees...you might be able to get all the firewood you want.
Cutting trees for Resi's ...I try to shy away from saying to homeowners "I'll cut the wood and leave it if you want firewood..." After the trees are down...even if I don't "get paid" to haul the firewood away I tell the homeowner "like it is". So you want the wood becuase family member "X" burns wood? "Not a problem...I'll start putting it in a pile...tell them to start hauling it as soon as I go home...when the tree is down they have til' the end of the week...I don't mind helping your family out or even saving you some $$$ ...but the job ain't over until it's cleaned (raked) up...if I can't rake and cleanup...someone (from my list) will be by to haul the wood away"...I "don't like to do it to them"...but on Resi jobs in "tight quarters" having wood "hanging around" is dangerous for me...and doesn't present "a good image"...the best percentage of my work comes by word of mouth...it works well.
So give some thought to "cleaning up after yourself"...it's in your best interest.

Got there at first light. I got 5 pick-up loads and my buddy got 2. A few other people got a load too. We were the only ones that cleaned up. He was so glad that we did that he took my number for when he gets 2 more cut down in the winter.

Great score! A buddy and I just took down two smaller dead elm trees on the edge of a farmers field. We were sure to clean everything up when we were done. It's the least we could do in exchange for the free wood. Not to mention, I'm sure we'll get the call when it comes time to take down another. Good work.

keyman512us said:
Yup...better have "all your gear" ready to go at first light.
As someone who cuts trees for $$$ ...I'll recomend this: Take a trash barrel, steel rake, a flexi rake, and a flat shovel (or grain shovel with you) to cleanup after you take the wood. If you make the effort...and word gets back to the outfit that cut the trees...you might be able to get all the firewood you want.
Cutting trees for Resi's ...I try to shy away from saying to homeowners "I'll cut the wood and leave it if you want firewood..." After the trees are down...even if I don't "get paid" to haul the firewood away I tell the homeowner "like it is". So you want the wood becuase family member "X" burns wood? "Not a problem...I'll start putting it in a pile...tell them to start hauling it as soon as I go home...when the tree is down they have til' the end of the week...I don't mind helping your family out or even saving you some $$$ ...but the job ain't over until it's cleaned (raked) up...if I can't rake and cleanup...someone (from my list) will be by to haul the wood away"...I "don't like to do it to them"...but on Resi jobs in "tight quarters" having wood "hanging around" is dangerous for me...and doesn't present "a good image"...the best percentage of my work comes by word of mouth...it works well.
So give some thought to "cleaning up after yourself"...it's in your best interest.

Well as someone that had a few trees cut down for $$$ (they were "danger trees" that I didn't have the skillset or gear to drop myself) - I spec'd that the job was to drop the trees and go - I would handle everything else once the trees were on the ground. I specifically did NOT want the cleanup! This did make me an unusual customer, but I had to explain -

1. I burn everything over an inch or two in diameter, and find the tree guys want to feed to much good wood into the chipper...
2. I'm a cheap SOB, and figure there is no sense in spending big bucks on having the pro's clean up when I can do it for free...
3. I'm not going to give the wood guy the wood just so I can buy it back later!

Nothing against you, Keyman, but thought I'd mention how it looked from the other side of the wallet

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.