Good lunch on a cold day!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yooperdave

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2010
Michigan's U.P.
It was -25f yesterday a.m. But, off to work as usual. On the job site before sunrise...as usual. Worked for 5 1/2 hours before stopping for a bite...as usual. (Always eat on the fly, hardly ever sit down for 10 min. yeah, I know, wah, wah wah.)
The job site was new construction residential with the wind blowing off a frozen lake (go figure) into the structure, since it had no doors/windows yet. Only a "shell" at this stage.
Well, Bill the electrician (no relation to Joe the plumber) brought a slow cooker full of mule deer chili! Man, oh man was that ever good. Actually warmed up, well just a little anyway.
This a.m. was only -20f. Tomorrow a.m. supposed to be the coldest this season.

Wind off a lake blows through you, not around. Nice thought, that, bringing the chili. Some folks just know how to live . . .

yooperdave said:
It was -25f yesterday a.m. But, off to work as usual. On the job site before sunrise...as usual. Worked for 5 1/2 hours before stopping for a bite...as usual. (Always eat on the fly, hardly ever sit down for 10 min. yeah, I know, wah, wah wah.)
The job site was new construction residential with the wind blowing off a frozen lake (go figure) into the structure, since it had no doors/windows yet. Only a "shell" at this stage.
Well, Bill the electrician (no relation to Joe the plumber) brought a slow cooker full of mule deer chili! Man, oh man was that ever good. Actually warmed up, well just a little anyway.

Sounds great yooperdave, after eating that chili you can blow back at the lake.

zap

yooperdave said:

I'm guessing you live somewhere inland? Talked to a coworker today that lays over in St Ignace, said it wasn't super cold this morning. From there he goes to the Soo, not bad there, either. The lakes must be moderating the temps a lot. I figured he would be about six hours late because his truck wouldn't start.

YooperDave, you have it much colder than we do. Chili is great for that type of work. We used to also build a bonfire and toast our sandwiches and that made them taste much better and we got warmed up too.

I can't imagine what complications temps like that give you on the job site. I've worked construction, but never in those conditions and can't fathom doing it. More power to ya.

I'm printing and taping this to the desk of the next coworker who complains about the building only being in the upper 60's.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.