Good Morning Cold again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

Well figuring it out 5+ cords have been burnt. normal it ususlly takes 6

Im out of wood, and were getting pounded at my house. This weekend were due for 30+ inches, and thats right after the 26 incher we got last weekend. Im working that snow blower overtime.

Hopefully its powder. Me, I am thinking of getting that Cat Encore and look forward to not burning and playing golf.
Worked on a couple of new flies this winter and figure to trout fish a bit.

Yea its light and fluffy. I will have to scan some of the patterns that i have been tying this year and send them to ya via email. It would be intresting to see the difference in patterns. Do you get green drake hatches? trico? The BWO and trico are my favirot hatches to fish. The last few years i have been trailing #26 and smaller midges behind my dry with good success on tail water.
Ryan

Friday, weather man said we would be down in the thirty's Sat and Sun mornings. So Friday evening I came home from work and loaded up the stove and built a fire. Decided I had an excuse to burn to help with the learning curve. Forcast was for daytime temps in the 60s so I didn't load the stove to max capacity, have been loading it at about half capacity. I reloaded at about 24 hours apart. Plenty of heat and very larg bank of coals left. Have burned it hotter than before so I have no doubt about getting the 40 hour burn at full capacity. Burning it hotter has helped alot with the glass. What I am seeing now is that what was really difficult before was real filmy and just wouldn't come off without razor blade. Now, with the higher heat, I am getting the burning and flaking to the point that where I couldn't see through before, I can see through now. Will probably keep this fire going till next weekend. They are predicting every morning to be in the 30's. (Last week I was thinking my burning season was over).

MountainStoveGuy said:
Do you say 40 hour burn time? how big is that firebox?

4.32 cu. ft./90 pound capacity.

Chesley said:
MountainStoveGuy said:
Do you say 40 hour burn time? how big is that firebox?

4.32 cu. ft./90 pound capacity.

... and who doesn't love a 40 hour burn?

I'm glad to hear you're having better luck with the glass. Thanks for the update. Keep 'em comin'. I am real interested to hear how that 'four-footer' does with a full belly!

elkimmeg said:
Well figuring it out 5+ cords have been burnt. normal it ususlly takes 6

I came up a cord short so the stuff burning now is a pretty poor burn. The mid-season chimney cleanings were ok but in the spring I may have to call out Roto-Rooter for the next ones.

Last spring was unseasonabley cold I burn much of April an into May. On the cold rainy days weekends
I burnt 24/7. Tonight predicted high to mid teens. That will make 4 nights in a row in the teens.
No sun today high about 35 burned all day. For me I think 1/2 cord more will do it. Got 4+ maybe 5 ready for next year, with plenty of stacking to clean up piles all over the place.I will bring in what comes available. I try to have 2 season in advance, so any new wood added is for 3 years out

21 degrees now windy and cold.
This will be the 6th night in a roll in the teens. Both stoves running. The main one, pretty
much 24/7 since Thur. I pains me to see 40 feet of empty pallets and working on another 8'

elkimmeg said:
21 degrees now windy and cold.
This will be the 6th night in a roll in the teens.

March came in like a Lion alright
A rabid Lioness with a paw full of splinters

No snow in CT, but it sure has been cold. I'm taking advantage and burning all of my mutant shaped pieces that don't stack up well.

Status
Not open for further replies.