Good news for us

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
I just finished snow plowing again. So I come in and look at the updated weather forecast and they say we'll be above freezing by Saturday! The forecast for Saturday is 33 degrees and then Sunday is 32. What month are we in anyway?

So I plowed snow but have to admit it was the hardest stuff I think I've ever moved. We did not get as much as was forecast but after getting 4-5" of snow we then got freezing rain. Wow, what a mess and very hard to push. If the blade drops too much you push up sod but if raised too much then you leave a mess. Nasty stuff.

So, then I have to get a bunch of wood on the porch again because our night forecast temperatures are back to the single digits. Welcome to January.

If anyone needs firewood, there should be lots around here very soon. The wind was coming up when I was out there but seems to have let up for a while anyway. Oh yes, we also were without electric power for several hours today. It could be worse though.

Backwoods Savage said:
I just finished snow plowing again. So I come in and look at the updated weather forecast and they say we'll be above freezing by Saturday! The forecast for Saturday is 33 degrees and then Sunday is 32. What month are we in anyway?

So I plowed snow but have to admit it was the hardest stuff I think I've ever moved. We did not get as much as was forecast but after getting 4-5" of snow we then got freezing rain. Wow, what a mess and very hard to push. If the blade drops too much you push up sod but if raised too much then you leave a mess. Nasty stuff.

So, then I have to get a bunch of wood on the porch again because our night forecast temperatures are back to the single digits. Welcome to January.

If anyone needs firewood, there should be lots around here very soon. The wind was coming up when I was out there but seems to have let up for a while anyway. Oh yes, we also were without electric power for several hours today. It could be worse though.

Glad everything is going well Sav, we usually get our last snow storm in April.

Zap :coolsmirk:

Tornado warning here and cold air hammering.

Ya, typically we'll also see some snow in May but that usually melts about as fast as it comes down. I do recall a few times though that it didn't.

We had a large bunch of spring birds return in the last week and even saw some killdeer yesterday. We always figured when they showed up, spring was here. Well, not this year!

I'll gladly take the snow Jay.

It was nasty here. Rain, freezing rain, and sleet. Thundered and lightninged all night long Tuesday night and the wind was blowing the sleet against the side of the house so hard that it kept waking me up. The storm brought down WEAU's TV tower about 75 miles from here. 2000 feet tall and it's all on the ground. Built in 1966 and been through the worst storms Wisconsin has to offer, until about 8:30 Tuesday night. At one time it was one of the tallest structures in the country. http://www.weau.com/home/headlines/118475474.html

Backwoods Savage said:
Ya, typically we'll also see some snow in May but that usually melts about as fast as it comes down. I do recall a few times though that it didn't.

We had a large bunch of spring birds return in the last week and even saw some killdeer yesterday. We always figured when they showed up, spring was here. Well, not this year!

+1 - woodcock calling, phoebe's showed up last week, killdeer in the field - usually much more mild here when these signs arrive, but still pretty darn chilly! Cheers!

We got mostly rain here then it turned to freezing rain just before dark. Almost kissed the deck when I stepped out with my slippers to check how much hay the horse had left.

Billy

After seeing what it is like today, I really fear for some of those spring birds. How are they to find anything to eat? Especially the ground feeders. Not good for them for sure.

Got about 1" of wet stuff last night here in the Lower Hudson Valley. Forecast is for 40s in the day and 20s at night for the next few days. I know that my sister and I built an snow bunny on Easter in the 70's. Not sure what year though.

Status
Not open for further replies.