Good news from the sweep

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I had my chimney cleaned yesterday. We skipped last year because when I removed the pipe and had a look in there all I saw was a little dust the whole way up. The sweep could not believe that I had burned 8 cords. He said that I could easily go three years. No creosote, just some dust that he knocked down and vacuumed up. He did do a nice job cleaning up the stove though. The dry wood and the cat are doing what they should be doing. The sweep said that he is finding that folks with cat stoves all have very clean chimneys. He was also pretty impressed with my 12 cords of stacked wood at the house. It must have looked good from the roof. I'll be happy not to pay him again for a few years.

Flatbedford said:
I'll be happy not to pay him again for a few years.

Congrats on the good news.
8 cords is alot, how long does the cat hold out?

I only got about 1 1/2 a season out of the first cat, but that was likely due to rookie operator error. The FREE replacement from Woodstock is the newer metal one, so I am hoping that it will last much longer. We also have a much better idea of how to run the stove now.

Flatbedford said:
I only got about 1 1/2 a season out of the first cat, but that was likely due to rookie operator error. The FREE replacement from Woodstock is the newer metal one, so I am hoping that it will last much longer. We also have a much better idea of how to run the stove now.

I have a used dutchwest 2461 in the garage in pieces, waiting for new parts to come in. It's a cat stove in decent shape, was always interested in trying it. I use an Oslo f500 so I only know the tubes.

Sounds great Steve.

Flatbedford said:
I had my chimney cleaned yesterday. We skipped last year because when I removed the pipe and had a look in there all I saw was a little dust the whole way up. The sweep could not believe that I had burned 8 cords. He said that I could easily go three years. No creosote, just some dust that he knocked down and vacuumed up. He did do a nice job cleaning up the stove though. The dry wood and the cat are doing what they should be doing. The sweep said that he is finding that folks with cat stoves all have very clean chimneys. He was also pretty impressed with my 12 cords of stacked wood at the house. It must have looked good from the roof. I'll be happy not to pay him again for a few years.

All my cat (well one of the four) does is sleep close to the woodstove . . . she's not doing a darned thing to help keep it or the chimney clean. :) ;)

Cat or secondary . . . burn it at the proper temps and use seasoned wood and you will not be very profitable for the local chimney sweep. ;)

I take the fluffy cat up on the roof and drop her down the chimney a few times a year. :)

Flatbedford said:
I take the fluffy cat up on the roof and drop her down the chimney a few times a year. :)

As a cat lover I know I should be appalled, but picturing you hauling up a very angry and reluctant Fluffy to drop down a second time is kind of humorous and made me chuckle a bit.

No cats were harmed in the maintenance of my chimney. We have a dog and a turtle at the house. The dog is too big and the turtle has no hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.