Good news...it's going to be a COLD winter...get your wood together!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillLion

Minister of Fire
Sep 4, 2013
Greater Hartford, CT
I just don't get what all the rage is about for cold and snow.
Randy-.jpg

but I am hopeful for a strong, cold winter!

May I ask why on earth would you want that? I'm with Jags you can also have my share. ;lol

Reactions: Jags
I like temperatures in the teens and always have 6 inches of snow on the ground. Never happens but thats what I like.
Just me I guess.:p

May I ask why on earth would you want that? I'm with Jags you can also have my share. ;lol

Well with 8 cords of wood stored I sure don't want to be stuck with 16 cords next year.:rolleyes:

Right, colder and more snow that normal, but...... "every region but the lower Great Lakes, upper Midwest and the northern states of the Northeast."

Okay, it seems to me that takes up a huge chunk of this big area that is an exception. What it really sounds like is that they come out with the prediction and then an exception, which will cover their backsides.

We have to remember too that if a winter (or summer) is only 1 degree off, it can be stated as a colder or warmer than normal. Folks won't notice it but they also won't be wrong.... So let's also say a region gets an average of 50" of snowfall per winter. If they get 51", that is above normal. But would anyone even notice it? It covers their backsides.

The best we can do is to make sure our wood piles are ready every winter, no matter the forecast. Some years we'll burn more and some years less. Overall, it really does not vary much at all from year to year.

no matter, either way it feels good to know the thermostat is stuck in the off position. I have 7 cords at the ready, will be happy using no more than 4.5.

Just because, in our little locale, today's high temp. beat record highs since 1930-something and that year's winter was very cold... it was projected that this winter will be very cold. Bah humbug. With all the supercomputers and algorithms that can be brought to the predictions, we still can't guess what ' ol Mother Nature has up her sleeve.

92 deg. in NE Ohio today and I hit all the stove shops in amish country today.
Most of them said they were booked for new installs for the next 6 weeks, so somebody is expecting some lower temps.

A cord of Old Farmer's Almanacs contains the BTUs of a cord of Maple. Giving it some use.

Good point BB.

The talk on sports talk radio and ESPN is that the Almanac is predicting a strong winter storm for NYC for Super Bowl weekend and the new stadium is outdoor. In my opinion, that would be cool. Cool to watch on the big screen from my couch in a warm house with little or no snow outside here in Michigan!

The farthest out I have ever seen a correct prediction of a big winter storm was in the eighties. For two weeks the local guys told everybody it was coming. And it did right on schedule and everybody was caught by surprise. :rolleyes:

Well, up here in Québec, we know we`ll get snow year in, year out. Farmer`s Almanac says the ground will freeze in the middle of October, and we`ll get snow on the ground beginning of November. If that really happens, it will be an early start to winter, and a long one. This year, the cold stuck around till May! I`m ready, with 5 cords all stacked in the wood shed. But if it starts getting cold early October, and it lasts till May, I won`t have enough of 5 cords, and I`ll have to dip into next year`s stack...
I don`t mind the snow, as long as we don`t get the minus 58F we got last winter. That kind of cold is a killer!

This will be our first full winter with our new Jotul F 600 woodstove. I installed it near the end of February this year, so we got a few months of mild to moderate use, but no real hard cold snaps. With our previous fire dragon slammer install insert we did okay heating as long as it stayed within a few degrees of freezing. When we got a cold spell down in the 20s for highs and single digits to teens at night the insert couldn't keep up and I'd have to fire up the Woodstock Classic in the lower level of the house just to keep things upstairs in the upper 60s. Judging from the limited experience I got with the new stove I'm optimistic that we will enjoy a much more comfortable winter this year. As such, bring on the cold and even some snow so I can try out my new electric snow blower!

I kinda wish if it gets cold it would stay that way. We consistently do deep freeze, thaw, deep freeze, thaw. Which means mud! The joy of the Tropics of Virginia.

I am ready for what ever the Good Lord brings, plenty of dry wood,new stove,and a wife that likes to snuggle. I am not crazy about driving in a lot of snow but I like a good coating on the ground all winter. It just looks ugly in the middle of winter without snow on the ground.

With a 4-year old in the house, I'm hoping for some REAL snow this year. He hasn't seen but a few dustings in his short life, with the crazy warm winters we've had the last two years. Kids make things like snow days fun again.

(we did get HAMMERED three years ago, but he's too young to remember it.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.