Good news...it's going to be a COLD winter...get your wood together!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I kinda wish if it gets cold it would stay that way. We consistently do deep freeze, thaw, deep freeze, thaw. Which means mud! The joy of the Tropics of Virginia.
Those kind of conditions make it a challenge to enjoy winter I bet?. You must have lots of ice issues during the thaw back to freeze scenario. Around here we do get above freezing in the winter from time to time but spring time is when we get what you are describing, which means lots of work dealing with ice issues. I grew up in Vancouver and one of the things people hated the most about the occasional snow there was how messy it got when it started melting a couple of days later.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
With a 4-year old in the house, I'm hoping for some REAL snow this year. He hasn't seen but a few dustings in his short life, with the crazy warm winters we've had the last two years. Kids make things like snow days fun again.

(we did get HAMMERED three years ago, but he's too young to remember it.)

You should move north ;) We got real snow last year, and 2 years before that.... kids loved it :)

IMG_3855.JPG

Annual farmers almanac thread number 4, check.... moving on....

But the real question is if the different threads were talking about the Old Farmer's Almanac or The Farmer's Almanac and their respective predictions. ;)

Reactions: BillLion
May I ask why on earth would you want that? I'm with Jags you can also have my share. ;lol

Depends on where you live. Even in a mild winter you probably get some snow. It hasn't snowed in Maryland for three years now.

With a 4-year old in the house, I'm hoping for some REAL snow this year. He hasn't seen but a few dustings in his short life, with the crazy warm winters we've had the last two years. Kids make things like snow days fun again. (we did get HAMMERED three years ago, but he's too young to remember it.)

Same here...the 5 year old remembers that year, but the 3 year old hasn't really anything to play in.

I grew up in Vancouver where some years you don't get snow, other years it would be around for a few days then turn to rain. I moved away in 90 and have lived in snow country ever since. Around here there is snow on the ground from November into April, I don't care for shoveling it but I cant imagine my winters without it! Im looking forward to warming my spine by the fire! I miss the kind of heat that only a wood stove can make.

The colder and snowier the better! Just not yet, still gotta get the sleds tuned up, the chimney sweeped and do a once over on the snowblower!

The farthest out I have ever seen a correct prediction of a big winter storm was in the eighties. For two weeks the local guys told everybody it was coming. And it did right on schedule and everybody was caught by surprise. :rolleyes:
Kind of like Katrina caught them by surprise in New Orleans?? Idiots. They told them for like a week or more it was coming!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Not hoping for a cold winter. On the most bitter days I find myself thinking of homeless people and pets, and folks that can't afford heat..

I hear ya, those thoughts hit me and the wife also; guess that's one of the reasons why we took in 7 stray cats from the backyard! We used to feel GUILTY closing up and locking the back door while we sat inside with the stove rolling, even though I had built a "cat condo" for them on pallets and insulated dog houses. The two women that came to catch them and neuter them both said "these cats have it good". Now they're all inside driving me nuts! :confused: ;lol

Sorry to ramble on but I'm saying I agree with ya, feel badly for those that really need help. Do what you can unfortunately we can't save them all.....:(

On the most bitter days I find myself thinking of homeless people and pets, and folks that can't afford heat.
I hear ya, those thoughts hit me and the wife also; guess that's one of the reasons why we took in 7 stray cats from the backyard!
Just thinking aloud here, so bear with me...

People are hungry. There are unwanted cats...

If I can't get good data on what the weather will be 10 days out.........I don't bother even considering what anyone says about weather patterns which are months away! Cheers!

We usually get a midwinter thaw, then the rest of the winter is spent wondering how many times we'll slip and fall on the ice.
I can deal with the cold, and the snow, just quit with the darn January thaw.
Very annoying.
Same here! We got tons of snow in December and early January, and then they called for heavy rain. I was up on the roof shovelling 3 feet of snow off, because I knew that rain would really put some weight on that roof. I also took the time to run the brush through the chimney.

Reactions: PapaDave
It is nice to know that whatever winter brings we will be ready with our wood supplies. I also have two back up plans. A generator to run the well pump, boiler and circ. pumps, and a few other things. And then if the power was out for a long time I have the old wood stove that I can hook up to the same chimney and heat and cook on it if need be. I can always regulate the temperature of the food, and more importantly beer, outside the window. ;) What? ;lol

Reactions: Laurent Cyr
It is nice to know that whatever winter brings we will be ready with our wood supplies. I also have two back up plans. A generator to run the well pump, boiler and circ. pumps, and a few other things. And then if the power was out for a long time I have the old wood stove that I can hook up to the same chimney and heat and cook on it if need be. I can always regulate the temperature of the food, and more importantly beer, outside the window. ;) What? ;lol
Same here! I tested my backup plan this summer when straight-line winds toppled tress on electric lines up the road. We were down for 6 days. Thank God the genny!

Reactions: Realstone
Pretty good thunder and lightning show going on here right now. Wouldn't be surprised if we lost power. :oops:_g

Pretty good thunder and lightning show going on here right now. Wouldn't be surprised if we lost power. :oops:_g
Are you close to Massena, Gasifier?

I absolutely hate summer:mad:, so the snowier and colder the better. I know regardless of the outside temperature my house will still be between 80 and 90 degrees. Just not looking forward to the mid winter thaw. Makes going to the wood pile a PITA:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.