Good or Bad Customer Service or Too Soon to Tell?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

twodogs02

Burning Hunk
Nov 30, 2013
plus.google.com
Opinion please -

As previously mentioned in my other thread, the store attempted to deliver our Harman XXV this past Tuesday morning, but they broke the leg off, put the stove back on the truck and said I would get a call from the owner telling me what's next. Today is Thursday and I have not heard anything from the dealer (owner or sales staff), my wife said call but I'm waiting to see how long it takes them to get back to me. This has not sat well with me so today I spoke with another dealer to see how far out they are with installs thinking I might go elsewhere.

My thought is - if this dealer handles a problem via silence so early on in the buying experience then maybe this is an indication of something more sinister to come. I get it that it is busy this time of year for stove dealers. This dealer has a chance to turn it around but I'm losing patience. Each night the wife comes home, sits on the stone pad, stares at me sarcastically and tells me how warm the house feels.

I would not be out any cash if I pulled the plug so I'm interested in what others think.

Last edited:
Give a call and see whats up! Pulling the plug too early is not good business for both parties.

I sense a long time in the dog house coming.

The owner should have called you by now if for no reason other than to apologize and to give you a status update at the very least.

Doesn't sound all that good to me.

Make that call.

Sounds like a bad situation brewing. I'd call. No sense in being practical here.

I think the owner should have called as soon as he found out what had happened with the install (assuming he was not one of the installers) and apologized. Then, let you know what was happening and how long he expects it to take for the parts to come in.
At least keep you in the loop.
Don't pull the plug on it just yet. Give him another day. Call him tomorrow and find out what is going on.
Some times things do get over looked.

Leave a nice message. I always try and give people the benefit of the doubt at least once.

Reactions: Paul L and BrianN
I would call right now, heck, knowing the way some of my employees in the past did things (different industry) he may not even know! The guy could be waiting for Friday to get his check........ Call now!

Yeah judge how to proceed by how the conversation goes with him.

Each night the wife comes home, sits on the stone pad, stares at me sarcastically and tells me how warm the house feels.
Happy Wife Happy Life

Reactions: becasunshine
If I did business like that in BMW land, I would be out. Call and talk with them. this is the busy season!

agreed- call away.....here's the thing....if they have another XXV, they can remove the side panel and replace it (the legs are part of the side panel). If you are waiting on them to get another side panel to replace it, that's simply gonna take awhile. A cast part, my guess is two weeks MINIMUM. Call them, don't be nasty, but see what other solutions can be offered. Your prerogative is also to get your money back as well. There are other dealers who keep them in stock, believe it or not...we had 8 this morning. In having to order replacement cast parts in the past, I've always been amazed at how long it takes to get them, and I am fairly certain its no different at other dealerships.

I would call right now, heck, knowing the way some of my employees in the past did things (different industry) he may not even know! The guy could be waiting for Friday to get his check........ Call now!
Sadly, this is a real possibility. The owner may not know! I'd call as well. If he knew, though, it's not a great start.

The owner knew about the problem because the installers called him in my driveway hence my frustration for not hearing from him sooner.

In any event, the dealer called last night around 7pm. He told me Harman is saying after Christmas before a new panel comes but he said he escalated the issue (Platinum dealer) and is having it shipped to his shop on Tuesday of next week. He told me Harman is covering the panel under warranty, based on the assumption that there was a defect in the casting process. We set the second install date for next Thursday 12/12.

He sells two different types of pellets (NEWP, Dry Creek) and I'm going to politely ask for 2 bags of each for test burning for the inconvenience of having to take off work two different times. Does anyone believe this is an unreasonable request?

Last edited:
Not unreasonable at all, in fact he should offer you something before you ask him. My opinion, stay away from the NEWP

Best of luck with your new stove, I'm sure you will love it.

Bill

'm going to politely ask for 2 bags of each for test burning for the inconvenience of having to take off work two different times. Does anyone believe this is an unreasonable request?

Ask for more, he can always talk you down to two bags.

The owner knew about the problem because the installers called him in my driveway hence my frustration for not hearing from him sooner.

In any event, the dealer called last night around 7pm. He told me Harman is saying after Christmas before a new panel comes but he said he escalated the issue (Platinum dealer) and is having it shipped to his shop on Tuesday of next week. He told me Harman is covering the panel under warranty, based on the assumption that there was a defect in the casting process. We set the second install date for next Thursday 12/12.

He sells two different types of pellets (NEWP, Dry Creek) and I'm going to politely ask for 2 bags of each for test burning for the inconvenience of having to take off work two different times. Does anyone believe this is an unreasonable request?

not at all

Two bags each? Dude, you are getting screwed. I will tell you that many people have bought stove in my area with a FREE TON to go with it. I would see if the other dealer has the stove and can get it in earlier, and offer a better deal. At the very least I would ask for 10 to 20 bags free.

Instead of asking for a specific amount....ask for some pellets and see how much they offer 1st. You ask for 10 and they might have
been willing to give a ton.....just a thought. Do not back yourself into a corner. Good luck. When you finally get your stove you
will be thrilled!

Reactions: iceguy4
Instead of asking for a specific amount....ask for some pellets and see how much they offer 1st. You ask for 10 and they might have
been willing to give a ton.....just a thought. Do not back yourself into a corner. Good luck. When you finally get your stove you
will be thrilled!
I agree...ask for some pellets...."geez maybe some free pellets will sooth my wife's anger" just maybe you can get a substanual discount If that's all he offers then go for quanity...IE if he balks and says "cant do free but I can do 1/2 price" Your reply "OK I'll take 3 tons...mama is kinda mad" Oh BTW your dealer is more then likely a member of this forum

Status
Not open for further replies.