Good or Bad idea?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CodyWayne718

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2009
Kentucky
Thought this was a good idea til I started stackin and thought about the bottom row of wood gettin wet. So should I change my plans or do you guys think the bottom row won't stay too wet with a solid bottom like this......thanks

Attachments

• 2011-11-06_13-42-26_848-1.jpg
    2011-11-06_13-42-26_848-1.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 396
I would say bad idea but I'm basing that vs stacking on pallets..what u are doing has got to be better than stacking on the ground

Thanks. It's gotta be better than the ground :) Guess I'll get to drillin some holes!

Better than directly on the ground, I s'pose...although I'd say stacked on a decent bed of gravel would be better. In any case, I'd say that whatever time & effort you can afford to put in providing drainage & ventilation through the platforms would be well spent. Rick

Circular saw at right depth to make a couple channels? Quicker and more air than holes.

jatoxico said:
Circular saw at right depth to make a couple channels? Quicker and more air than holes.

Not sure I follow ya jatoxico.....this is what I jus done.

Attachments

• 2011-11-06_14-33-13_878-1.jpg
    2011-11-06_14-33-13_878-1.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 348
Tell me about what I'm looking at? Is that just some pressure treated boards with exterior grade plywood on them?

Danno, yes. The fil has a bunch of them. Their pre built for something. Jus seemed like a good think to stack on. Think im gonna lay 2x4s on top an stack on those....

Attachments

• 2011-11-06_15-09-52_976-1.jpg
    2011-11-06_15-09-52_976-1.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 321
CodyWayne718 said:
jatoxico said:

Well can't see your frame but was thinking to cut just thru plywood two parellel cuts maybe 1/2" apart and remove strip kinda how they cut for ridge vent. A few of those or even larger ones if it won't weaken your structure would give most air and not clog with debris.

Be fine either way, plywoods not gonna last a life time no matter what you do, unless you put a roof, run some electric for night cutting, maybe a frig' oh and ya gotta have....

I think that last arrangement will work for ya.

jatoxico said:
CodyWayne718 said:
jatoxico said:

Well can't see your frame but was thinking to cut just thru plywood two parellel cuts maybe 1/2" apart and remove strip kinda how they cut for ridge vent. A few of those or even larger ones if it won't weaken your structure would give most air and not clog with debris.

Be fine either way, plywoods not gonna last a life time no matter what you do, unless you put a roof, run some electric for night cutting, maybe a frig' oh and ya gotta have....

Thought about gettin 4 more of them and makin a roof out of them. Put some tin on top. I know that ply wood isnt gonna last :( Thanks for the fast replies fellas

i have used a plywood based system before, will try to post pics later....basically the same flooring setup you have but then salvaged some scrap lumber to frame on the walls and roof....its handy because it basically holds a cord once your done

CodyWayne718 said:
Danno, yes. The fil has a bunch of them. Their pre built for something. Jus seemed like a good think to stack on. Think im gonna lay 2x4s on top an stack on those....

yep, this'll do ya just fine

Status
Not open for further replies.