Good Pellet stove????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrism

Feeling the Heat
Oct 8, 2009
Eastern PA
I am in the market for a good pellet stove. I had a quadrafire mt vernon ......JUNK ! Pellets would always jam auger, wasnt really a hot burner. Any info would be appreciated!

I agree with Daksy...Get A Harman! Its the one all others are compaired too.

I'm using a simple Englander 25 in my shop this year… pretty impressed by the performance and simplicity of this stove. My St. Croix has been bulletproof for the six seasons I've owned it and it's 13 years old.

Sorry but I just can't drink the Harman kool-aid….

I'm using a simple Englander 25 in my shop this year… pretty impressed by the performance and simplicity of this stove. My St. Croix has been bulletproof for the six seasons I've owned it and it's 13 years old.

Sorry but I just can't drink the Harman kool-aid….
X2

There are many good stoves out there besides Harman. Harman's are nice, don't get me wrong, but there are many units that will do just as good a job heating.

My choice of stove if buying today would be the M55 by Enviro or its sister brands.

Quad Mt. Vernon jamming auger ?? Strange ...

I know your taste may be soured for quads but my Santa fe is really simple and durable. Heads up, quads and Harman are same company if you are trying to avoid the brand. However, a blind hate won't get you far.

Last edited:
There are many good stoves out there besides Harman. Harman's are nice, don't get me wrong, but there are many units that will do just as good a job heating.

My choice of stove if buying today would be the M55 by Enviro or its sister brands.

+1 (think bigger Enviro Maxx, Vistaflame VF170, Enerzone Euromax, etc). I have a Harman, but not poisoned by manchurian candidate potion

+1 (think bigger Enviro Maxx, Vistaflame VF170, Enerzone Euromax, etc). I have a Harman, but not poisoned by manchurian candidate potion
New to this forum but surprised to hear that Mt Vernon is "junk". Mine is fabulous. Highly recommend.

I just bought and installed an ENglander 25 IP but had a 25 PDVC before that and it worked great.

Which year was your mt v ? As with most things early production goods can have glitches early on. I have a 2012 ae and it throws some serious heat. I have a 2000 sf colonial and i heat the house with it.

Which year was your mt v ? As with most things early production goods can have glitches early on. I have a 2012 ae and it throws some serious heat. I have a 2000 sf colonial and i heat the house with it.
I second that. 2,200 s.f. ranch heated with a 2012 Mount Vernon AE. I get the occasional auger jam, but I have found it is due to uneven pellet lengths.

The Harman stoves are very good , certainly among the best but so isn`t their cost . Thankfully there are many alternatives, some equally expensive but many others for less and a few are much less.
Personally I`d never buy a new Harman since it`s only as good or dependable as the dealer who it was bought from. From what I read, the folks at Harman do not communicate with purchasers or their issues after the sale , or at least they own that reputation of such.
However with Englander stoves, it`s another story. They seem to dominate the "best service " awards.
I think my next stove will be another Englander for the peace of mind alone.

Reactions: IHATEPROPANE
Hell, my Santa Fe heats my 1450 SF home with NO problem ...and it doesn't even have to run continuously at all.

yes vinelife I only had 1 auger jam and that was because I overfilled the hopper,and I have 2 Mt Vernons

yes vinelife I only had 1 auger jam and that was because I overfilled the hopper,and I have 2 Mt Vernons
No really I wasn't being sarcastic ... to me it would be very strange to have a mt Vernon that didn't work good. I love quads..

Status
Not open for further replies.