Good place online to buy a brush to clean pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
I called all local home depots looking for a 3" brush so I can clean the pipes outside, none in stock.

I have 3" pipe on my Englander 25-PDV.

What's an average price for this and where would be a good online source; I'll look in ebay but wanted to hear opinions..
I found this one at ebay, a "RUTLAND PELLET STOVE or Dryer Vent BRUSH" for $30 plus $6.50 shipping....

thanks, I had looked at Amazon as well, there are a few different types......

I think I only need like 5 foot cable but they don't have them looks like.

One last question, since this cable is flexible how well does it work pushing it through the pipe from the outside to the inside have a 45 degree angle pipe in the inside.
Lastly, cleaning from outsise pushing the brush to the inside, how far can you go, right into the exhaust blower??

Looking at the 3 brushes...they appear to be very similar. For $2.99 from Harbor Freight you can't go wrong. Even if it turns out to not be as good, your not out too much money. Plus you will have something to clean your dryer.

I clean my vent from the outside. It does take some persuasion to get the brush through the 90° elbow, but it handles the 45° elbow just fine.

My vent configuration goes out the back of the stove into a 'T', then up about 5 feet into a 90° elbow, then out about 3 feet to a termination with a 45° elbow. I run the brush in from the outside toward the inside. It loosens the ash and knocks it down into the 'T' on the inside. I then take the vacuum hose from the outside to get whatever is laying in the horizontal run. Then I move to the inside and vacuum from my stoves exhaust port into the 'T' to get every thing that settled down into the 'T'. It has been working for me so far.

Since there is no caked on creosote inside the vent pipe (like with my wood stove), the brush does not require a lot of force to work.

Almost time to do a total shutdown.....I was thinking to keep the critters and moister out of the pipe, I'm going to take the termination cap off and put a beer koozie on the end.....How does everyone else do this?

I emailed harborfreight.com people and this is the reply about the 3rd link I posted above:

"This is designed for dryer vents and is 4" in diameter at the brush."

My pipes are 3" in diameter so I guess I shouldn't buy this brush....unless someone tells me a 4" brush can be used on a 3" pipe without issues.....

macman said:
This one is run on your drill.....it rotates as you push/pull the brush through the pipe. Mike Holton from Englander Stoves says he got one to try for his own stove, and said it worked great. Lowes also has packs of extension rods if you need more length. I'm going to pick one up next week.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=37653-59625-RLE202&lpage=none

do you remember if Mike bought that exact one from harborfreight, which is 4" in diameter? I assume he's using 3" pipes.

geek said:
macman said:
This one is run on your drill.....it rotates as you push/pull the brush through the pipe. Mike Holton from Englander Stoves says he got one to try for his own stove, and said it worked great. Lowes also has packs of extension rods if you need more length. I'm going to pick one up next week.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=37653-59625-RLE202&lpage=none

do you remember if Mike bought that exact one from harborfreight, which is 4" in diameter? I assume he's using 3" pipes.

I'm pretty sure that's the one....he said he bought his at Lowes.

ok, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.