Good place to get ash vac and order fatwood!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
An alternative to fatwood can be found here:

http://www.supercedar.com/

The owner, Thomas, is a member here, and he has many very satisfied customers (including me). If you send him an email and tell him you're a member here, he'll send you some free samples in the mail. I'm sure you're going to enjoy that new stove. Post some pics for us! Rick

Thanks very much!

We have about 8 cords of wood on our property that is problamatic to sell because of the Asian Long Horned Beetle restrictions, so we decided to turn into wood burning fools!

The expense of it all!

We went with the Hearthstone Clydesdale insert because it looked easy to manage for me and takes a big log. I am probably going to "keep the home fires burning" more than my husband.

Glad I found this website.

I'm gonna move your thread out of "The Gear" over to "The Hearth Room"...just seems a more appropriate place for it to me. Welcome to the forums, BTW! Rick

I got an ash vac last winter. Things to consider - some are noisier than others and nozzle is 1" in diameter. These are designed just for ASHES and maybe tiny coals that slip through but they will get caught and stuck. The hose isn't much bigger than the nozzle. When using it the nozzle is meant to be held right down on stove floor picking up just a small amount of ashes with each swipe.

I googled ash vac and ended up going with the Cougar model. Think I got it from Woodland DIrect...just don't remember. I did want something just for ashes when doing thorough cleanings. My shop vac is just too big to bring into the house and last time I used it it left lots of residue ash that got out of it's filter system.

My ash vac is noisy but not terribly so. Small and easy to store. Very well constructed. Has a great filter system - no mess in the house. I am happy with it. Just wish it didn't cost so darn much....but then I don't have a splitter, a pick-up truck or any other of the hugely costly 'accessories' that this 'occupation' can inspire one to purchase... :roll:

Im in central mass too and Ive been buying my fatwood at Home Depot, some of the stores may be out now but theres so many of them around one of them should have some in stock.

Thanks for the info on both the vac and fatwood.

I am getting some samples from supercedar.com also to try.

Yes the vacs are super spendy, like everything else!

I hope the install goes well, we did not really like the place we bought it from, but were limited by choice and location, etc..

I will post a picture on Thursday if all goes well!

Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.