Good quality, inexpensive cast iron freestanding?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie21

Apr 7, 2008
New Jerz
Any recommendations for a good quality, inexpensive cast iron freestanding wood stove that will heat 2,000 sq. ft.? Thanks!

Inexpensive and castiron don't usually go together. The least expensive stoves are steel stoves. That said, for starters take a look at the Napoleon 1600C, Jotul F500, Morso 3610, Pacific Energy Alderlea T6, Quadrafire Isle Royale and Hearthstone Bennington and ask around at the dealers. Maybe they have a floor model that they will let go at a discount?

From the other thread it sounds like you have the ideal setup for a stove. Shop around and see what prices you get. Be prepared to pay more if you are going to need a professional installation. In that case you really want to have the job done correctly and professionally. It may cost more, but having a safe and proper installation wtih good dealer support from start to finish is worth it.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/17226/

Yeah, I'm finding that out. But I agree: cast iron is the way to go for my house. So it will either be the Jotul Oslo or the Alderea T6, whichever I get a better deal on (two different dealers near me). I'm going to have them install (I'm pretty handy for a girl, but not THAT handy), so the price might be variable. The two models seem very similar, almost interchangeable. This forum has been very helpful in figuring out what I need and I'm sure I'm going to be asking a lot more questions once we get it installed.

Good choices. It may be worth checking on Napoleon prices locally as they can run lower than the Jotul or PE. The Oslo and Alderlea are very different stoves construction wise and operationally. But both are good reliable heaters. The PE T6's firebox is 1/3 larger, it's a bigger heater. A more direct comparison would be the Jotul F600 to the Alderlea T6 or the Jotul F500 to the Alderlea T5.

Oh, okay that makes sense. That will help with pricing. I'll try to find a Napolean dealer, too. Thanks!

Ha! I found one 2 minutes from work. I'm stopping by there this afternoon.

BeGreen said:
Good choices. It may be worth checking on Napoleon prices locally as they can run lower than the Jotul or PE. The Oslo and Alderlea are very different stoves construction wise and operationally. But both are good reliable heaters. The PE T6's firebox is 1/3 larger, it's a bigger heater. A more direct comparison would be the Jotul F600 to the Alderlea T6 or the Jotul F500 to the Alderlea T5.

I wondered why you were comparing apples to oranges. Let the Big 6 (F600 Fireview) go head to head with that PE cast wannabe or the other pretenders. Hahaha. Naw, just talking smack, but definitely want the Big 6 going head to head with the other biggies for comparison sake.

In this case inexpensive is the stove that will last the longest, not the one that costs the least up front.
My vote is for the Jotul 600, Morso or Quad Isle Royale. The T-6 is a wonderful unit (it and the soapstone are my personal favorites) but the t-6 is a steel stove wrapped in cast: just think we should keep that clear. But BG will tell you it functions like steel and soapstone, heats up nicely and radiates for a long time.

But, shop quality if you go with cast or you might end up buying it several times.

But, shop quality if you go with cast or you might end up buying it several times.

Say what? Locally there are many steel stoves made in the 80s, driven hard, that are still around. Tom has a 15 yr old PE heating his house. BB's Sierra was 25 yrs old on retirement. I expect the T6 to be around long after I am gone. On what is this concern based? (No VC mentioned :))

BG: those are quality stoves that you mentioned. My intent is to suggest that the really cheap stuff is no bargain.

I've seen our local dealer selling his Quad Cast freestanding stock at 5% above cost at the end of the season. Check around with youe quad dealer if you have any locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.