Good score,,,, even for a firewood jockey!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustWood

Minister of Fire
Aug 14, 2007
Arrow Bridge,NY
Timber company that owns around 5000 acres in the area rented a lot for log storage/shipping just up the road about a mile. Made a deal with them yesterday for all the cutoffs. Deal was I haul them out as fast as they can load them . They have to have the lot clean when they leave . They were more than happy to have me haul the cutoffs out. I'll keep 4 or 5 loads for me and dad and truck the rest to customers.

Attachments

• 3849808004.JPG
    3849808004.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 214
So they haul the whole tree to the lot before they cut the top off? I don't get it....maybe I don't know what a 'cut-off' is.

Super score Lee. Sock it too them.

So they haul the whole tree to the lot before they cut the top off? I don't get it....maybe I don't know what a 'cut-off' is.
Mills only take certain length logs. The loggers measure and cut to length on the landing, not in the woods. So if the skidder drags out a 19' log and the mill wants 17' logs a 2' cut-off is left on the landing.

Nice load there. Also nice to have the proper tools for a job.

Cut-offs are usually the defect parts - logs can be cut varying lengths depending on market prices.

How many loads like that in total?? That is definiteLEE a nice score.
They've been there a month and made 3 loads. 1 every 10 days. They will be there till break up in Mar-Apr. So maybe another 6-10 loads.

Yeah, I gotta get crack'in. The last year and a half hasn't been kind to me, and I let my stash slip a bit.

Cut-offs are usually the defect parts - logs can be cut varying lengths depending on market prices.

Yep, the only reason to shorten a log is too make it more appealing looking to the buyer. If the end looks defective, they assume the defect may go on down the log. Longer logs are worth more. My logger showed me as he was grading and trimming logs from my woods.

Yep, the only reason to shorten a log is too make it more appealing looking to the buyer. If the end looks defective, they assume the defect may go on down the log. Longer logs are worth more. My logger showed me as he was grading and trimming logs from my woods.
Yes, a 12' log with no defects it worth much more than a 16' log with a bugger on it at 14'.

Status
Not open for further replies.