Good score for this winter.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigtall

Oct 30, 2009
West Georgia
My biggest burning issue has been that we were temporarily living in a no burn house for one year, before we bought our current abode, complete with insert, and lots of land from which I can harvest firewood. I have about one and a half cords split and stacked for next year, with plenty more to come. Mostly oak, ash, and will have some cedar and pecan on the stacks too before I am done. My issue has been what about this year? I have scrounged up some deadfalls that were okay, a lot of punky, but some decent stuff, but I have been desperately searching for some truly "seasoned" firewood for sale for right now. What I have found is most of the firewood dealers down here have it cut, then split it as needed for sale, so it is not truly seasoned and still really wet. But today, I found my huckleberry. Good seasoned wood, and really cheap. I had to drive about 35 miles, but I loaded my truck to the gills for $65! It amounted to just a tad over half a cord, and was cut and split 2 years ago. Mostly red and white oak with some birch and cherry mixed in. I am going to go get another load, if he has any left, and mix in some of my scrounges in with it to try and make it through this year.

Oak pallets from stone masons/landscapers. Post to freecycle asking for split wood that will not be used.

Look for deas standing ash. Insert in GeorgiaI wouldnt think your going to use anymore than 3 cords a year

When I had a fireplace Iwould use 2-3 cords, so I will probably only use 2 now. With the FP I was just burning for aesthetics and not really trying to heat my home. With the insert I am trying to offset my furnace usage and save on some electric/gas bills, so I will probably be burning more frequently.

I hope you surprise yourself in how little it will take to heat your home down there. There simply is no comparison between a fireplace and an insert.

Good luck and good find!

Status
Not open for further replies.