Good Score Monday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lvfd50

Oct 1, 2007
Livonia NY
Hey check out the firewood I scored on Monday. All free and just needs to be split and seasoned. I was able to fill my truck twice pretty high and then another smaller load. That wasn't even all of it. As I was loading my truck the first time another guy stopped and asked if he cold have some. I didn't want to, but I said sure there is enough for both. I guess when its free on the side of the road you can't argue. Best part is that all of it is cut in good lengths and just need splitting. I posted pictures of the three loads and the pile after the first two loads.
Now for the more serious part. Can anyone tell me what kind it is?

Attachments

• Picture 048.jpg
    Picture 048.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 492
  • Picture 049.jpg
    Picture 049.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 519
  • Picture 050.jpg
    Picture 050.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 502
  • Picture 052.jpg
    Picture 052.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 486
  • Picture 060.jpg
    Picture 060.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 483
  • Picture 061.jpg
    Picture 061.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 480
That is a good score...and nice truck too!

hey thanks for the compliment on the truck. I had to have it when I saw it. You just don't see too many '84 Chevy 4X4's in New York in great shape and not rusted out.

Good on ya for not putting up a stink about sharing.
Looks like oak of some sort but I'll let the woodheads
tell ya better. :coolsmirk:

I was thinking oak too. Where are you from?

Is it heavy?, does it smell?, have you split any ye?, easy to slpit, fiberous, clean splitting?

Looks like Poplar. Is the middle a greenish color.

johnsopi said:
Like possibly tulip poplar

johnsopi said:

Bark doesn't look right for poplar. Does it?

MANIAC said:
johnsopi said:

For tulip poplar it does. My son is at Bridgeton Academy, im' IM'ing him as we speak.

jpl1nh said:
MANIAC said:
johnsopi said:

For tulip poplar it does. My son is at Bridgeton Academy, im' IM'ing him as we speak.

No kidding! Basically a stones throw from me. Absolutely love the area and know a ton of people who went to school there. If I could just find a way to make a living up there I'd be living there yesterday.

I'll agree with tulip (yellow) poplar. A light wood with a lot of water when green that always seems to grow mold for me, even after splitting and stacking.

I do think it is tulip (yellow) poplar. It spilts real easy with a maul. I like burning it this time of year. Matter of fact I'm burn a load of it now.

I was going to say cottonwood looking at the bark but i've never cut one (or burned any) so this is the first i've seen of their innards. I think cottonwood is soft isn't it?.

Cottonwood is the worst wood I've ever had. I will not take free delivered Cottonwood. To hard to spilt.

It didn't look like any if the cottonwood I have ever had around. We cut 15 or 16 huge cottonwoods down at my moms because we hate the little white things. I hope it isn't because cottonwood is hard to split. I usually only use that for my outdoor firepit.

I have not seen many Cottonwoods cut down to look at the cut like that but that deeply furrowed bark is more like a true poplar; like Cottonwood rather than the Tulip. Tulip has the same pattern but not usually the deep furrows...IIRC. It is definitely a fast grower...

Well if anyone cares and I know the question was asked about how this wood split. Well on saturday I split about a truck load of it and it split very easy. after splitting it I am thinking that it isn't cottonwood because all the cottonwood I have tried to split was extremely hatrd to split. Well just thought I'd update you.

lvfd50 said:
Well if anyone cares and I know the question was asked about how this wood split. Well on saturday I split about a truck load of it and it split very easy. after splitting it I am thinking that it isn't cottonwood because all the cottonwood I have tried to split was extremely hatrd to split. Well just thought I'd update you.

Tulip poplar. If you need yet more evidence, burn some and breathe the smoke. You'll know immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.