Good Scores

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goater32

Sep 26, 2012
Madison WI
www.facebook.com
After paying for wood last year that was marginal at best, we have been on a quest to get ahead this year. Has been a little slow. Managed to get about a half cord of oak from a neighbors friend this past June and just got another cord from a neighbor who works for the city and had some oak they took down last Jan. hopefully that will be ready for 2015. I found about 2 face cords already c/s/s of 14%mc oak on craigslist that a lady wanted out of her yard for free (big score) and going to pick up a large maple and another hardwood tree she is taking down tomorrow (not sure how much would is in them, but about 20" diameter on both of them also for free) Then found a guy who is selling pick up truck 2X4X8 for $50 a load of Maple and Red Elm c/s/s last November of 2011. I have about 2 cords from last year that are sitting at 14-17%MC and now with a couple pickups should be good for this year and with the trees I am picking up hope to have a good stash for next year. Craigslist is my friend as of now. Any other ways you guys find free wood?

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
See if any of your local area towns have "tree dumps." I am getting most of mine from our county seat's dump which is only 7 miles from work.

Well just got an update on the trees for Monday-40 year old locust and maple....and idea how much wood....she said the tree company has to limb them first.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
That locust will treat you right!

Another good way to find wood is to take a leisurely Sunday drive in the country. Watch especially along ditches, creeks and rivers as you will almost always find dead trees there that should be taken down. In addition, if you find some trees in a fence row or even along some of those creeks and ditches but they are also along beside a field, don't be afraid to stop and ask about them. While it is true you won't be able to get the trees out before the crops are out of the fields, if you secure permission ahead of time, most times when you come back to get the wood, the farmer is likely to tell you about more that you can get for the asking. If you do this, make certain that you stack the brush neat and out of the field. If it is wet, don't go in if you are going to leave tracks when coming out. Best to wait until the ground is frozen.

Status
Not open for further replies.