Good source for Harman Ignitor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timjk69

Nov 12, 2006
I broke the wire on my Harman Advance ignitor. The stove is 4 years old, and has been really slow to start this season.
The ignitor wires were bare and must have been a little brittle right at the ignitor itself.
Anyway, does anybody have a good source for Harman parts? I'm afraid to think what my local dealer wants for
this piece.

timjk69 said:
I broke the wire on my Harman Advance ignitor. The stove is 4 years old, and has been really slow to start this season.
The ignitor wires were bare and must have been a little brittle right at the ignitor itself.
Anyway, does anybody have a good source for Harman parts? I'm afraid to think what my local dealer wants for
this piece.

Having done a fair amount of poking around looking for places to buy Harman parts just in caseI need to get something, I've found no "after market" places. It appears the only place you can buy parts is from a dealer.

can expect to pay between $90 and $100 for one, from most dealers.....even the one or two online folks who sell and ship Harman parts charge that amount.........

$109.00 at my dealer. No choice I guess. I'm gonna dissect the old ignitor later and see what it what it needs in the way of an element. I think it could be repaired in some way.

timjk69 said:
$109.00 at my dealer. No choice I guess. I'm gonna dissect the old ignitor later and see what it what it needs in the way of an element. I think it could be repaired in some way.

not likely, as the ceramic usually cracks when the core deviates, causing a lack of continuity inside the igniter, and therefore, it wont work, but what the heck!? Give it a try!

timjk69 said:
this piece.
The Harman igniters are manufactured by Tempco, 3" long, 3/8" in diameter, 300 watt. The link is to the cartdridge heaters that are used without the heat fins. Maybe you can remove the theat fins on the bad igniter and put them on the new cartridge heater or maybe Tempco would install new fins on a new heater for you, wouldn't hurt to call them to see, toll free.

http://www.tempco.com/TERMINATOR/TerminatorL.html

wil said:
timjk69 said:
this piece.
The Harman igniters are manufactured by Tempco, 3" long, 3/8" in diameter, 300 watt. The link is to the cartdridge heaters that are used without the heat fins. Maybe you can remove the theat fins on the bad igniter and put them on the new cartridge heater or maybe Tempco would install new fins on a new heater for you, wouldn't hurt to call them to see, toll free.

http://www.tempco.com/TERMINATOR/TerminatorL.html

306 watts, actually

I'm going to call Tempco in the morning. Looks like the cartridge I need is $31.60. If it works out, I'll buy a couple of these.

timjk69 said:
I'm going to call Tempco in the morning. Looks like the cartridge I need is $31.60. If it works out, I'll buy a couple of these.
Please ask them about what the costs are for installing the heat fins,IMHO, this is the way to go. Please let us all know.

timjk69 said:
this piece.

Damn those local dealers and their 40% profit margins on parts. He'll probably take that 40 bucks and use it for something stupid, like the electric bill so he can keep the lights on. Stupid electricity

Franks said:
timjk69 said:
this piece.

Damn those local dealers and their 40% profit margins on parts. He'll probably take that 40 bucks and use it for something stupid, like the electric bill so he can keep the lights on. Stupid electricity

yea...damn those greedy dealers! Can you imagine, wanting to turn a profit?! ;-P

I don't dislike a dealer for making a profit. Its when they get greedy that I have a problem. My local dealer always is $40 to $50 more on all parts and accessories are marked up even more. I will not go back because of excessive over charging. From seeing what some people pay for parts, from dealers, it seems clear that some are trying to mine what they see as a gold mine. And yes, I know it is more expensive to operate a business in different parts of the country. I am taliking about vast differences in pricing within a 50 mile radius. My local dealer can GTH.

David

Bkins said:
I don't dislike a dealer for making a profit. Its when they get greedy that I have a problem. My local dealer always is $40 to $50 more on all parts and accessories are marked up even more. I will not go back because of excessive over charging. From seeing what some people pay for parts, from dealers, it seems clear that some are trying to mine what they see as a gold mine. And yes, I know it is more expensive to operate a business in different parts of the country. I am taliking about vast differences in pricing within a 50 mile radius. My local dealer can GTH.

David

Ugg, if your dealer is charging 40 bucks more than another dealer for the same small item, then I agree with you I suppose. Thats lousy. When he gets to H have him check my room to make sure the AC is installed

Bkins said:

David

I agree with Franks......if the dealer is THAT much more than surrounding dealers, you should definitely exercise your option and buy one somewhere else! Other than shipping, Harman parts cost dealers pretty much the same, by and large. You might see some small variation due to shipping, etc, but $40-$50 more on an igniter is crazy! Like I said, that part should be $90-$100, retail.

I guess you cant really have any idea how much it costs to that particular dealer to operate his operation, and frankly, youre not in a position to determine whats greedy or not, other than to not support that dealer with his excessive charging. If you dont like it, dont go there...pretty simple. If he is consistently that high, he wont be around long. The public will have spoken!

I dont really see a whole lot of price differences with actual parts and what dealers sell them for around here....one thing I do see which amazes me is the fact that many dealers dont even stock the MOST BASIC parts.....that would bug me to no end, were I the consumer!

Lousyweather said:
Franks said:
timjk69 said:
this piece.

yea...damn those greedy dealers! Can you imagine, wanting to turn a profit?! ;-P
Everybody in business needs to show a profit, I suspect that Tempco is making a profit, they sure as Hell aren't selling at manufacturing costs. Competition in the market place is great, isn't it?

Franks said:
Bkins said:

David

When he gets to H have him check my room to make sure the AC is installed

Thats a good one.

David

Dealers As well as manufacturers are there to make a profit. No problem there. I like to shop around and find the best deal. I admit, I've spent alot of money finding "the best deal" in the past! I shop local if there isn't a HUGE difference in price. I talked to Tempco today and the sales person talked me out of the route I was taking, telling me there is a lot of research in their elements for ignitors. Sounds fair to me.
Heading off to the local dealer in the next couple of days. Getting cold up here in the northwest!

Anyway, got the new ignitor installed. The leads coming out of the new one are solid for an inch or so and double insulated. Shouldn't have the problem with the bare and breaking wire. The stove lights off now
before the initial feed stops, much faster than it ever did. Was always a little slow from the start. Have the Tempco # here if anyones interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.