Good Start on cleanup of deadfall & a few snags at parent's acreage today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thistle

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2010
Central IA
About 3 weeks ago I took a few pics of the vast cleanup of various deadfall,bunch of old Red Oak/Black Oak snags at parents acreage.Was hoping that schedule & weather would permit me to start soon before the Spring rains,tall grasses & Summer heat took over.Must be 30+ cords dead mostly Red/Black/Pin with maybe 30%White & Bur Oak with scattered Shagbark & Mockernut Hickory on that 10 acres that need cleanup.Brother is going to help me for a day or so when our schedules cooperate,I'll share the wood 50/50.Weather was perfect today,70 degrees with no wind & very low humidity. I had some time today so decided to get started on it since rain is forecast for the next 2 days. I ended up with 2 large pickup loads,not split or stacked,2 tanks of gas in just over 4hrs. Not bad for a tired worn out old man I thought :lol: Called brother when I got home told him "I speeded things up a bit,you have 1/2 the wood already,just come out & load it up,then split it later on" Hopefully in a week or so we can 'double-up" on the production,get 4 loads between us.

Side note: I swear by Full Chisel chain,would never go back to Semi-Chisel or anything else.When the need calls for it,I also like Full Chisel Skip Tooth on 24" & 36" bars even better,especially when milling.

Attachments

• me sharpening chain 1.jpg
    me sharpening chain 1.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 402
  • red oak 1.jpg
    red oak 1.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 414
  • red oak 6.jpg
    red oak 6.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 410
  • red oak 8.jpg
    red oak 8.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 389
  • red oak 10.jpg
    red oak 10.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 381
  • red oak 11.jpg
    red oak 11.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 376
I hope you don't get that snow that is predicted this weekend. That can put a cramp on the cutting.

If thats you, you darn sure dont look that old!

smokinjay said:

lol thanx. Yup its me.I lose the heavy winter beard & I guess I look younger.Still feel like crap most days though. ;-P

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

lol thanx. Yup its me.I lose the heavy winter beard & I guess I look younger.Still feel like crap most days though. ;-P

Yea I was just blowing a little smoke....Your much older than I am. I get up every A.M. With the boost on, feeling like I have another 10 cords standing to stack by 2:00 pm.

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

Yea I was just blowing a little smoke....Your much older than I am. I get up every A.M. With the boost on, feeling like I have another 10 cords standing to stack by 2:00 pm.

I hear ya. Somedays its the 2-3 Diet Cokes,Rockstar Energy Shooters or a big pot of coffee that gets me through until late afternoon.Other times I'm exhausted by noon. *sigh*

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

I hear ya. Somedays its the 2-3 Diet Cokes,Rockstar Energy Shooters or a big pot of coffee that gets me through until late afternoon.Other times I'm exhausted by noon. *sigh*

I can do it with a large glass of water! lol (+3 pots of strong black coffee) We call it the quadboosta! Marines would be proud to drink my coffee.

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

I can do it with a large glass of water! lol (+3 pots of strong black coffee) We call it the quadboosta! Marines would be proud to drink my coffee.

LOL can you stand a spoon up in it? I'm impressed.

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay" date="1302752624 said:

He you happen to leave it on the burner for a couple hours I think it might, but never happens. I have cut every bill I have other than coffee. I added to that one! lol

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle" date="1302754533 said:

He you happen to leave it on the burner for a couple hours I think it might, but never happens. I have cut every bill I have other than coffee. I added to that one! lol

Hey caffeine is a necessity most of the time.Cant we write that off as an expense on our taxes? ;-)

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay" date="1302755728 said:
Thistle" date="1302754533 said:

Hey caffeine is a necessity most of the time.Cant we write that off as an expense on our taxes? ;-)

yep! :coolsmile:

[quote author="Thistle it looks like you had a great day for cutting, nice work. The property looks well maintained, how much wood do you burn in a average heating season.

Zap

I used to like the caffeine too but then one day I got a really bad wake-up call when I could not get rid of that liquid. Nasty... Had to give up coffee and other stuff like that. I thought it would be bad with no coffee even though the only time I drank it was at breakfast time. After a week it was okay and I have not drank coffee now for about 8 years. I do now occasionally have a Red Bull.

Zap - It varies,but I usually burn 3 cords/yr,rarely less,sometimes a bit more.What's helped is doing as much if I feel like it,when time permits.Weather has to cooperate also more now.When I was in my early mid-20's Dad & I would be out there cutting in all kinds of weather - snow,heat,,rain,didnt matter.He's 81 now & has no business doing the 'heavy lifting',as it were.Sometimes he'll cut a few small sticks or fuel up/sharpen the chains when I'm doing other stuff,but mostly I do 100% myself now.I dont do any cutting from mid May until early September unless its recent storm cleanup.No cutting when the snow's more than 5"-6" either.I remember one bad March ice storm about 25yrs ago,it was nasty,40MPH gusts,horizontal rain turning to ice,1/2" ice coated everything.Mustve slipped & fell on those leaves & grass 4 times that morning,never again will I get in that situation.

Dennis - I know about too much caffeine.Doctor said 2 months ago 'I should limit myself to 2 cups daily at most,for my blood pressure'.I stick to that rule now,with the rare days that I'm extra busy.Last checkup 2 weeks ago,everything is normal now.

Real nice pictures.
Looks like "morel mushroom" country.
Very nice supply of fire wood. You are gonna be busy, have fun.

Finally got back to the woods today.Parents had just over 5 1/2" of rain in gauge over the past 2 weeks.Bit soft going up one path from the house/garage out to here,almost got stuck crossing the little dirt/gravel bridge/culvert over the ravine even in 4 Lo.Parked on the 'flat' about 100 ft from the south side of these hills,carried 2 saws,gas/oil,cant hook/5lb axe,hickory wedges in back pockets ;-) up the slope to where I left off last time.Not as productive today,about 1 1/2 p/u loads more,spent more time walking up & down these damn hills,looking for more to cleanup & tossed what little brush/trash there was in a couple piles also.Am now caught up with stuff on the ground,was able to drop 2 12in. Red Oak snags.3 more on this slope,I ended up working in about 200ft radius overall since first starting..Hoping its dry enough in another week or so to start hauling 1/2 of it up to near the woodshed so I can wield that monster maul once again. (Shed almost full already from last fall/winter,about 4 cords).Brother gets 1/2 of whatever I cut,so far our work schedules havent quite meshed yet.

Last pics are where I hope to go next,if its dry enough to pull them up another hill.

Attachments

• near big draw towards west end.jpg
    near big draw towards west end.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 149
  • red oak different view south slope.jpg
    red oak different view south slope.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 165
  • redoak background.jpg
    redoak background.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 175
  • red oak.jpg
    red oak.jpg