Good stove for upstairs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdscj8

Feb 19, 2009
Eastern,Nebraska
Let me know what you all think of this idea. Upstairs on our 2nd floor we have a 14x15 area at the top of the stairs that my wife made into a sitting area, off that area are our 3 bedrooms and bath. At one time there was a small wood stove in the area to heat the upstairs so there is a chimney there, but it was removed by my great grand dad years ago. We are trying to get the house back to its original look. In the Fall and Spring when i dont want to fire the blaze king up i would like to have a stove up there to take the clill off for sleeping. The house is a 1840 farm house, what would be a good small old looking stove for up there. upstairs is 900sf, but it dont need to get to warm. What do you think? JD

Fall and Spring is when that stove of yours shines. Burns nice and low and long. Your great grand dad probably figured out that hauling wood upstairs was more work than its worth.

First check with your code enforcement to insure you can install a stove. The, quite frankly if you want an older look, try one of he Thelin stoves. As close to a parlor stove as you can get. Also, consider their pellet stove. Easier hauling the sacks upstairs than the mess from wood (that's for your wife's sake).

Sounds like it was kinda born for a Jotul F100.

Well after i posted this i talked to my Grand Dad to find out what the stove looked like upstairs sence they used it when he grew up here. Found out it was still here, he put it in a wood crate in the back of an old 1930's milk truck in our back pasture back in the 60's. I was so excited i couldn't wait till tomarrow, i grabbed the flashlight and the truck and took off, looked in the back of the truck and there it was, got it on the back of my truck and took off for the shop, I'm really suprised how good of shape its in from sittin out there for 40 yrs. Looking over it i found out its a 1840's fold door Franklin by Wood & Bishop Co. Bangor, Maine. The bottom of the doors have a gap between them so they won't shut all the way, need adjusting, other then that sand blasted and new paint is all it needs.

I'm real excited 165 years ago my great,g,g,g,g grand father installed this stove new, and after 40 yrs i get to redo it and, reinstall it.

Hey SolarAndWood, thats what i thought to but it just keeps putin out the heat even turned down, my dad has the same stove and he's not having this problem, i don't know if its a problem with the stove or if the wood is to good (haha). It's been in the 20's for lows and we can't keep the house under 80 deg with the windows open.

littlesmokey, we have more wood out here then we could ever burn, i don't plan on paying for any type of heat till i'm to old to put a long on the fire, and at 35 i hope its a long long time. So no pellets for me. And if a code enforcement officer came out here we would have to bulldoze and rebuild with all the things thats been done to this house over the years. Thats why they stay in town.

BB my wife loves the looks of that stove, she is making me take this stove to a pro to check it out before we install it, just to be safe. She thinks its safer then a farmer looking at it, i can't blame her. So if we can't use the old one thats the one she wants, she says i've got my BK, so needs the Jotul F100 for her.

I'll try and get some pics on our next rain day.

jdscj8 said:
Hey SolarAndWood, thats what i thought to but it just keeps putin out the heat even turned down, my dad has the same stove and he's not having this problem, i don't know if its a problem with the stove or if the wood is to good (haha). It's been in the 20's for lows and we can't keep the house under 80 deg with the windows open.

Something isn't right. What kind of burn times do you get on a full load? Where is the t-stat set and where is the cat thermometer reading?

jdscj8 said:
Well after i posted this i talked to my Grand Dad to find out what the stove looked like upstairs sence they used it when he grew up here. Found out it was still here, he put it in a wood crate in the back of an old 1930's milk truck in our back pasture back in the 60's. I was so excited i couldn't wait till tomarrow, i grabbed the flashlight and the truck and took off, looked in the back of the truck and there it was, got it on the back of my truck and took off for the shop, I'm really suprised how good of shape its in from sittin out there for 40 yrs. Looking over it i found out its a 1840's fold door Franklin by Wood & Bishop Co. Bangor, Maine. The bottom of the doors have a gap between them so they won't shut all the way, need adjusting, other then that sand blasted and new paint is all it needs.

I'm real excited 165 years ago my great,g,g,g,g grand father installed this stove new, and after 40 yrs i get to redo it and, reinstall it.
Very period and very cool, but at the end of the day I'm not sure it's going to the most practical heater for that area. Great story...

The Franklin is one of the nicest plant stands ever made. Use it for that. My first stove was a Franklin and the things are totally uncontrollable and downright scary.

Put it somewhere in the house for nostalgia and get a safe stove for lighting fires.

Me, I would err on the side of safety and go with a small Jotul . . . but that's me.

If you need help with parts or refurbishing this stove you might check with these folks . . . they're in the town next to me . . . good people. This is a link to their Clarion line of stoves which were made by Wood & Bishop.

http://www.bryantstove.com/clarion.html

Status
Not open for further replies.