good things come to those who wait.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ssupercoolss

Jan 28, 2008
southeast pa
up at my little weekend house in the mountains, my buddy just recently had a new home built right next to his. ever since it was completed i have had my eye on the logs that were left behind after clearing the land. the new owners moved in, which my buddy and his wife became friends with. my plan is moving along just as i had imagined. so i tell my buddy, tell your neighbors i will take those logs off of thier hands. after a little while he tells me she said that her son is coming to take them, but i could have 1. my plan just came to a screaming halt. i told him to thank his neighbor, but i really want all of it or none of it. not to sound ungrateful, but i would rather not have to go through dragging the splitter up for a weekend, just to split a little bit of token wood, and still need to find more. looks like i will just have to split a load at home and drive it up.

he told me yesterday she said i can have all of it. i figured the longer it sat there, the better chance i had at getting it. patience pays dividends. there is propably 2+ years worth of firewood. and its the smaller, less hernia enducing wood that i like to split, and its about 1,000' from my house.

Yes it payed off, the more they look at the work that needs to be done the eazier it is to give it away

It could have gone one of several ways. The more interest you show, the more they think they're sitting on a gold mine. You see lots of that on Craigslist. Some people would just as soon let it rot just to spite someone that shows an interest but not on their terms.

LLigetfa said:
It could have gone one of several ways. The more interest you show, the more they think they're sitting on a gold mine. You see lots of that on Craigslist. Some people would just as soon let it rot just to spite someone that shows an interest but not on their terms.

So true. The more people who show interest, the more it becomes worth. There are enough scroungers around here that people have the idea now that rotten cottonwood is primo fire wood. I battled for craigslist free wood the last couple of years that turned out to be mostly worthless when I got there. I've had much better luck just letting friends and family know I'm looking. I still stop and ask if I see tree work in my neighborhood, but with less eagerness in my voice. Next phase involves befriending arborists.

i have to say i am pretty lucky...for this score and the ease of wood gathering at my primary home. my buddy back home is a tree/lanscaper type. i have to trek about a mile to make it over to his place to split wood. befriending someone who cuts down trees for a living, and wants nothing to do with selling firewood is a good thing. i use his splitter, and his saw, (if he didnt log it up for me already). its a sweet deal that i dont want to mess up so i always use my gas, bar oil, split up the junk i dont like for his OWB, and i maintenance the splitter, like when he rips the carb off with the skid steer.

Status
Not open for further replies.