Good to be Ready - 1st Fire!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to see the Wisconsin crowd representing already. I tell you, the next 30-45 days is the only reason i still live in this cold ass state. Can't beat fall in packerland but winter makes you pay. Beautiful stove by the way.

Last edited:
Yet another WI person burning small loads here to take the chill out and gradually cure out the paint smell. Really pleased with the new stove and flue setup thus far. :cool:

Attachments

• T5-5.jpg
    T5-5.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 127
The smell of wood smoke goes so well with the taste of fresh apple cider and the nip of the frosty, fall air. Had our first burn up here a few nights ago, too. We're about an hour and a half north of Green Bay.

dscn0925.jpg

Think I've said it before, but I'll say it again . . . I like the look of this install a lot.

Reactions: NectarNook
Thanks. My husband says it's his favorite part of the house since he came back. We might stain the wood a little darker to match our kitchen cabinets, though. We've been leaving it all natural, but the two tones looks funny. See how the window trim is a lot lighter? Hope it still looks nice once it's stained. I have trouble visualizing the finished product.

dscn0351.jpg

I think we'll leave the ceiling light, though. That'd be a pain in the buns to stain - goes up 18'.

The smell of wood smoke goes so well with the taste of fresh apple cider and the nip of the frosty, fall air. Had our first burn up here a few nights ago, too. We're about an hour and a half north of Green Bay.

dscn0925.jpg
NOW THAT is a beautiful stove!!

dscn0925.jpg

Are you drying pumpkin seeds next to that stove?

Did the first fire last night, with everything cleaned out and wood supply crispy dry the thing took off. After about an hour and a half my stove made the largest bang I have ever heard! Today I will get the big flashlight out and look to see if there was any damage.

I didn't get it that hot, maybe 500 tops. In the deep winter I usually cruise about 650-700. Sounded like someone just booted me from the gong show. Maybe some of the new cement around the exhaust pipe on top of the stove popped off. Hopefully that is it.

Still in the If-I'm-cold-I'm-Going-To-Take-Off-The-Shorts-And-Put-On-Jeans-And-A-Sweatshirt Mode rather than start a fire . . . there will be plenty of time in the next few months ahead for me to start making fires. Right now I'm just enjoying the warm days and cool nights.

I'm with you when I get up and running. Since I'm a rookie I have lit 2 already just to get a feel for running it. Figured it be better to learn when I didn't have to instead of bumbling around when it gets cold.

Reactions: newburner

dscn0925.jpg

That stove is a beauty

Can't be fall in packerland but winter makes you pay.
Since I've gotten spoiled on the weather here, I now say 'Can't beat Cheeseland in the summer but come fall, it's time to beat it outta there.' ;) Don't usually fire up here for another month or so, but I get the feeling we may be starting early again this year. :oops: A string of low 60s/mid 40s, and room temp will be dropping out of the comfort zone.

Reactions: KindredSpiritzz
Just wanted to share that the envi-heat things I bought works very well. It looks nice, sets up easy, and is keeping my daughter's room warm with or without fires.
Just thought I'd share the additional info and provide a few pics. Best of all it makes no noise, and uses less energy than the dehumidifier I just turned off for the season.

IMG_1303.JPG IMG_1304.JPG

Reactions: Ashful
Just wanted to share that the envi-heat things I bought works very well. It looks nice, sets up easy, and is keeping my daughter's room warm with or without fires.
Just thought I'd share the additional info and provide a few pics. Best of all it makes no noise, and uses less energy than the dehumidifier I just turned off for the season.

View attachment 139279 View attachment 139280
Please keep me updated on how those work for you. I considered them but I read a few reviews about them leaving permanent "soot-like" stains on the wall above them. I opted for the oil filled radiator style heaters but I'm still considering the envi's.

Thanks. My husband says it's his favorite part of the house since he came back. We might stain the wood a little darker to match our kitchen cabinets, though. We've been leaving it all natural, but the two tones looks funny. See how the window trim is a lot lighter? Hope it still looks nice once it's stained. I have trouble visualizing the finished product.

Do I spy an Excalibur Dehydrator under the island?

Please keep me updated on how those work for you. I considered them but I read a few reviews about them leaving permanent "soot-like" stains on the wall above them. I opted for the oil filled radiator style heaters but I'm still considering the envi's.

OK, remind me if you can for an update in a month or so and I will send one. So far 3 days of use and no soot. Honestly I cannot even imagine how it would cause any soot. One thing I do know is that this is the "new" version that has a few more features over the first generation. For example the thermostat is built in now, the light is auto dimming (really nice feature), and the wattage has been adjusted.

dscn0351.jpg

I think we'll leave the ceiling light, though. That'd be a pain in the buns to stain - goes up 18'.
That is a great sized kitchen!! Love the look

I have 5.5 cords of wood fully seasoned for this year. I have 18 cords CSS'd, but much of that is younger than a year.

Since I burned thru 5 cords by mid-January last year, I'm going to delay the start of my season until we're into full cold this year. No fall shoulder season! I hope to have 10 cords prepared annually, starting next year. I also anticipate my usage may drop, as my wood and I both become more seasoned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.