Good Value

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DuketheSuperLab

Apr 18, 2012
Hey guys,
I have been reading threads for some time now. I would just likke to say thanks for all the info. I needed some advice, so here is my question. Do you guys think this is a good value? I am in the market for a wood splitter, and could always use another saw. I really don't need the pickup, but could get rid of it pretty easily. Any opinions will be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Hey guys,
I have been reading threads for some time now. I would just likke to say thanks for all the info. I needed some advice, so here is my question. Do you guys think this is a good value? I am in the market for a wood splitter, and could always use another saw. I really don't need the pickup, but could get rid of it pretty easily. Any opinions will be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Sorry,
Here is the info
TRUCK: 1990 GMC Heavy Duty 1/2 ton 4x4. New tires. $1575

LOG SPLITTER: 2011 25ton. 2 new high speed tires. $1100 firm.

CHAIN SAW: Hardly used 2011 Stihl Pro 18". $500

My Grandpa will sell all 3 together as a package deal for $2900

I'm not aware of a heavy-duty half-ton option for 1990 1500's. But for 1500 beans, I don't know that I'd be picky. Good deal if it's a 350/5.7L in it. 5.0/4.3 aren't bad either but the 5.7L is highly desireable over the other options.

No mention of the brand name on the splitter. Much more important specs than the ton rating. Why does a 2011 need new tires already? _g

Need to know the model of the saw too. Some would call a "FarmBoss" a pro saw. If it's a minty MS361/MS362 that could be a great deal.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
You said you need a wood splitter. $1100
Another saw never hurts, especially if it is a Pro model. & it's almost new. $500

$1600 & you got what you were looking for, at a decent price & you know the history.
If you buy the truck, title transfer, license & insurance, another vehicle to fuel & maintain.
$2900 or $1600, it's a $1300 decision

Not that it isn't a good buy on the truck, but why spend the extra money? Grandpa will sell the truck & make a few hundred more.
Just my opinion. :)

I'm not aware of a heavy-duty half-ton option for 1990 1500's. But for 1500 beans, I don't know that I'd be picky. Good deal if it's a 350/5.7L in it. 5.0/4.3 aren't bad either but the 5.7L is highly desireable over the other options.

No mention of the brand name on the splitter. Much more important specs than the ton rating. Why does a 2011 need new tires already? _g

Need to know the model of the saw too. Some would call a "FarmBoss" a pro saw. If it's a minty MS361/MS362 that could be a great deal.

I talked to the gentleman last night. I have never heard of a heavy half in that era either, but he said he has added air bags. The pickup does have the 350, with 170,000. That is a bunch of miles, which probably explains why it is cheap enough.

The splitter is a MTD brand with the honda 160 cc engine. I don't know why it needs tires already, definately a question worth asking thou.

The saw is a 361, and he claims it is near mint!

This is about an hour and a half from me, but i think it is worth checking out.

I forgot to mention he already told me that he was ready to sell and was thinking of coming down to $2600.00. Sounded like he was ready to sell.

Price is a bit high on the splitter. The Honda GC/GCV series engines are not really exceptional. They are the pick of the litter for an entry-level engine however. Quiet and easy starting.

Everything else looks like a decent deal. Especially if it all goes to $2600.

Methinks MasterMech is dead on the button here. I also wondered about that splitter. One can buy a new Huskee 22 ton for $1,000. The tires on my MTD are 20+ years old and still doing just fine. Seems like I put air in them 2 times.

Installing air bags on a pickup doesn't make it "Heavy Duty". Just makes it tempting to overload it and break something expensive. Rick

I'm pretty sure I had a HD Suspension on my ol' 95 Chevy K1500 P/U.....but that was a '95....I tell ya what.....it handled whatever I thru at it

Methinks MasterMech is dead on the button here. I also wondered about that splitter. One can buy a new Huskee 22 ton for $1,000. The tires on my MTD are 20+ years old and still doing just fine. Seems like I put air in them 2 times.
Where can a guy get this deal? I am just curious because i haven't seen it yet.

Installing air bags on a pickup doesn't make it "Heavy Duty". Just makes it tempting to overload it and break something expensive. Rick

Sure does help the handling when loaded to the limits tho. ;)

I'm pretty sure I had a HD Suspension on my ol' 95 Chevy K1500 P/U.....but that was a '95....I tell ya what.....it handled whatever I thru at it

GM sometimes called the Z71 off-road susp "heavy-duty". In reality it was better shock abosorbers and bushings but did little/nothing for the load rating of the truck. Not like a real 1500HD would anyways. HD Half usually consists of 3/4 ton axles (maybe the whole powertrain from a 3/4) and half-ton suspension. Guys towing heavy campers with weight-distributing hitches loved them.

A 1990 is going to have an R700 tranny. Good but known to give up at around 100K especially if towing. Also no floater axle so nothing HD about it no way. In fact in that era even 3/4t didn't have floaters. Price is cheap so no quams there but ideal wood truck is 3/4 or 1ton with full floater (gm corporate 14Bolt) and 400 turbo or better. Plenty of them lying around for same price cause they are gas hogs. You can bag the corporate rear end and not over load cause your tires become the limiting factor then.

A 1990 is going to have an R700 tranny. Good but known to give up at around 100K especially if towing. Also no floater axle so nothing HD about it no way. In fact in that era even 3/4t didn't have floaters. Price is cheap so no quams there but ideal wood truck is 3/4 or 1ton with full floater (gm corporate 14Bolt) and 400 turbo or better. Plenty of them lying around for same price cause they are gas hogs. You can bag the corporate rear end and not over load cause your tires become the limiting factor then.

Tell me something I don't know.... :) See truck in sig....

Tell me something I don't know.... :) See truck in sig....
I bought a 454SS when they first came out in truck form in 1990. Fun and fast but gas then was cheap. No way could I afford it now. It had a turbo 400 3 speed and 3:73 gears in a 12bolt punkin.

The truck could have a tow package or factory snow plow prep. There should be a sticker in the glove box door with the option list.
Etither won't allow it to carry more wood, just make last a little longer doing so. Better cooling, bigger alternator, bigger brakes, lower axle ratio, maybe stiffer front springs etc.

This site claims GM calls out a heavy duty half ton in the VIN, character 6, separate from other 1500 series.
http://www.ehow.com/how_7477401_interpret-chevy-truck-vin.html

My buddies '95 Z-71 has the decals, the better shocks, skid plates, and 16X8 alloys. Still just a regular old half ton truck otherwise, and tires are more expensive than the narrow 16 inchers that are on standard steel wheels.

I'd go there and look the stuff over, If the splitter and saw are in good shape could be a fair deal for $2300.

My opinion is your overpaying for the log splitter by a couple hundo
Your buying a used saw for $150 less than new
and your paying approx market price for the truck.
I sure wouldn't consider it too far out of the market, but it sure ain't the blue light special, either.

As others have pointed out, you are not getting a great deal. The splitter price is way too high as well as the saw IMO. If you want a true heavy duty truck, for that price you could find yourself a great K20/30 from the mid 70's to mid 80's...

Defiantly not a great deal by any means...

Status
Not open for further replies.