good way to jinx the mild temps-talk about it!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yooperdave

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2010
Michigan's U.P.
well, i might as well "jinx" the mild winter we have been having so far...the lowest temp i've had this season is either -14f or -18f. only reason i'm not sure of it is that by now we would have had a lot lower temp; that is, during a "normal" winter.
mon afternoon, the temp on the car was reading 47f!!! holy man!
i have a new partner at work, from texas, (sorry bart) and he keeps asking "how cold does it have to get before we don't have to work?" after about a week and a half of the same question every day and him growing tired of the same old laughter for a response, we told him that no-one really knows...but i did tell him i've taken pics of the thermometer reading -40f at about 4:30...just before i leave for work! he still thinks i'm kidding.
but it looks like one more week of mild temps for us-here in the u.p.

Downright balmy here on lawn-guyland. We're at 56° with heavy rain, 37mph wind with gusts to 50mph. Mid 20's by Thursday morning.

yooperdave said:
well, i might as well "jinx" the mild winter we have been having so far...the lowest temp i've had this season is either -14f or -18f. only reason i'm not sure of it is that by now we would have had a lot lower temp; that is, during a "normal" winter.
i have a new partner at work, from texas, (sorry bart) and he keeps asking "how cold does it have to get before we don't have to work?" after about a week and a half of the same question every day and him growing tired of the same old laughter for a response, we told him that no-one really knows...but i did tell him i've taken pics of the thermometer reading -40f at about 4:30...just before i leave for work! he still thinks i'm kidding.

In the 40's today with rain, thanks for the temps. Looks like starting tomorrow night we will be down below zero for a couple of nights, looks like any real cold temps are further down the road sometime.

zap

I guess mild winter is a realative term for the month of December I have received 65" of snow and 92" since October

Tell that Texan to "cowboy up". Well, that or head to the nearest airport which is what I would do. :coolsmirk:

Had 4-5 inches of snow . . . things were starting to look up as a nice start of the snow base for snowmobiling . . . rain and 50 degree temps and we're back to Square One. :(

We had more snow - 8" - in OCTOBER than we had - 0" - in DECEMBER.
I rode the Ultra Classic on Christmas Day! First time in 35 years of riding
that Christmas was moderate & dry, with no residual salt on the roads.

yooperdave said:

With the wind chill they say it will be -23 tonight, BEECH weather!

zap

yooperdave, we had 45 degrees here but much cooler now. No thaw today for sure but they say some thawing tomorrow with just a little snow. How much snow have you got?

I had to laugh at your post because it reminded me of one time I was in Chassell and was eating some lunch in a restaurant. A crew of road workers came in and the guys were all complaining and wondering if it every warmed up there. It was funny because it was mid-July. Of course the temperature was only in the high 50's then but they were accustomed to the hot Texas weather. They never dreamed anyone could have weather like that. One guy asked me what it was like in the winter. I told him the sledding was much easier than it was that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.