Good weekend, except for 'that little piggy'

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moondoggy

Oct 29, 2007
Long Island NY
So- fired up the new ryobi 40cc chainsaw this weekend.(redmax clone- awesome saw- HD has them on clearence at 119.00- if you need, its a steal w/2 yr warrenty, bucking spikes, 18", strato-tech engine, just needs a fuel line adjustment.)

cut a medium white pine down- mostly dead, but the trunk was still good.
WHAT a pain to split- but the wedges and sledge did the job... beautiful wood inside.. cant wait until its dry enougth to burn.
found a plactic 50gallon drum washed up on the beach, figured i gotta recycle that- painted it black and so now I got a new splinter/kindleing barrel.
checked the flue- creosote only on the cap and first 1.5" of stack. other then that jsut some of that brown power inside flue.
I was psyched- been burning 'sorta seasoned wood the past few weeks.
finished up the kids science project.

later that night, stepped out side grab an old split for the stove.... without shoes on...(dumbass)
split slid off pile crushed my 'pointer' toe (if i can call it that)
mashed the toe-- and only that toe- drew blood-- probably broken, but they dont do squat for that at the hospital anyway.
crap this hurts.
maul, ax, sledged adn chainsaw'd the weekend away.... guess if this is the only injury i should happy.
this little piggy throbbed all the way home.

by the way- for those following- poulan is fixed $20. from local ACE. seems a small disc/regulator on the bottom
of the carb came loose.

what'd you all do?

Ouch, take care of the toe, maybe put a splint on it?

nope, dont even like looking at it, just gonna ignore it and hope it goes away. its officially "big toe" now. before it was close between who was taller, big toe or pointer toe, but now pointer toe is bigger by all counts.... girth particularly. cant wait to go home and get this dang shoe off.

Same deal with smashed fingers. Keep it kinda straight and don't do anything that might hurt it. They did stitch the blow out closed on mine when I dropped a 750 lb brush hog on it. It's been two years and I still don't have a whole fingernail.

"Bone soup" is what the X-ray showed. The soup pretty much self heals. Eventually you forget it ever happened.

I always figured it's better to get hurt doing something than get sick from sittin around doing nothing. Not much you can do for a toe unless it was blown open like Highbeams. It becomes obvious really quickly how often you actually use your little toe when it's hurt. I like your philosophy though, if that pine fell on you or the saw slipped or whatever, makes the toe look pretty tame. You deserve a break, relax!!

Ouch...that's even painful to read about. Hope you recover quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.