Good weekend!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DuelburnJake

Burning Hunk
Jul 29, 2013
New Hampshire
Had a good weekend working around the house. Stained the siding and got some more wood stacked. With the front row done I will have 6 cords stacked there. Only a couple more cords left to process and my wood gathering for this summer will be complete!

Attachments

• 20130825_184821.jpg
    20130825_184821.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 156
Sounds like a productive weekend Jake! How long til the wood you've recently processed will be burned?

Since I've gotten 3-4 years ahead, the woodburning lifestyle has been a very enjoyable experience.

most of it has been in wind rows in my side yard for the last two years. This stuff in the picture won't get burned for a year or two. I have good amount of seasoned stuff closer to my basement door, easier to get to in the winter with the snow. I'm trying to get a couple years ahead. I bought a nc-30 this year so I'm excited to so how it'll be with 2 year seasoned ash and maple! My old stove chewed through about 2 cords last year, only running it 60% of the time. I'm hoping the 30 will be much more efficient with the good seasoned stuff.

I agree with that! I can't wait to fire up the stoves and my 2013 polaris assault and shred some snow with it! Nothing better than riding all day and coming home to a nice warm wood fire!

Reactions: schlot and ScotO
Nice work Jake!

Sounds like you're set up perfectly......now we just need a REAL winter here in the northeast!

Good work Jake...I'm looking forward to trying out my new stove too.

Scotty I just read an article FWIW the Farmers Almanac is predicting a brutal winter.....it says they have been right about 80% of the time since the first publication. Bring it......

Good work Jake...I'm looking forward to trying out my new stove too.

Sotty I just read an article FWIW the Farmers Almanac is predicting a brutal winter.....it says they have been right about 80% of the time since the first publication. Bring it......
Oh, nothing excites me more than a good ol' fashioned Christmas....with lots and lots of snow and cold.....
I relish the very thought of it......

I'm ready & waiting for it....

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I'm ready & waiting for it....

Me too! I hate summer its only good for drying wood ;) Nice work Jake . Are 4 x4 Post holding up the deck ? Plus they don't appear to be notched in on the joist . Thats alot of weight up there :)

Looking great.
I will have a cold winter,
maybe I can send some of it your way.

Wood types?
Always ask because I have birch & spruce here.

Me too! I hate summer its only good for drying wood ;) Nice work Jake . Are 4 x4 Post holding up the deck ? Plus they don't appear to be notched in on the joist . Thats alot of weight up there :)
John Boy, Those are 4x4's holding up the deck. Believe it or not we built it over code! Shes sturdy!

Looking great. I will have a cold winter, maybe I can send some of it your way. Wood types? Always ask because I have birch & spruce here.
Bogydave, Send it on over! I lived in Montana for 5 years, had some friends from Alaska in college in Montana with me. Always wanted to make it up there! As far as wood types there is Ash, Red Oak, white birch and maple in there too. They are old growth trees from clear cutting some of my property 2 years ago.

John Boy, Those are 4x4's holding up the deck. Believe it or not we built it over code! Shes sturdy!

Bogydave, Send it on over! I lived in Montana for 5 years, had some friends from Alaska in college in Montana with me. Always wanted to make it up there! As far as wood types there is Ash, Red Oak, white birch and maple in there too. They are old growth trees from clear cutting some of my property 2 years ago.
May be to code, but the header seems to be collapsing in the picture. If it is in fact collapsing it needs to be addressed before it falls on your wood. Replace it with a rabbited 6x6 with a couple of bolts through the header.

Header is good. I think its an optical illusion in the picture. We built the deck just over a year ago. Everything is still straight. I can see how you'd think that with the reveal, or spacing between the banisters looks funky. But its just the angle at which I took the picture making things look off.

Status
Not open for further replies.