Goodbye to wood burning!! I will miss it!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VCBurner

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2010
Templeton, MA
So we are in a new house with no chimney. I sold four wood stoves. Mainly on Craigslist. We will miss the wood fires. I just wanted to thank you all for the advice you've given me over the past two seasons.
I'm switching to pellets now. It has been a pleasure burning wood and I'll miss those nights with the sights and sounds wood fires offer. Take care my wood burning friends.

Check out my new thread in pellet world, complete with pic of the stove I'm looking at tomorrow:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/78438/

Edit: The pellet stove was sold before I got a chance to look at it. The new house is a rental and putting in a chimney is not a choice. Believe me, if I could I would have brought at least one of my two EPA rated stoves. It broke my heart to see them go...

I agree with Todd! A brand spanking new Class A chimney can be added at any time. :)

When do you think VC Burner will sell his Pellet stove:

A) January 2012

B) Before the start of the 2012 Winter

C) First Power outage

D) Keeps the Pellet Stove and adds a wood stove before next winter

Seriously, though. Good luck and stay warm.

BrowningBAR said:

A) January 2012

C) First Power outage

If my wife and kids weren't sleeping I'd be laughing out lound and rolling on the floor! :lol:

Those are all very real options, I must admit. I've enjoyed learning the wood stove way and it's engraved in my heart. I only hope that I can enjoy the bags as much as the logs. I'll keep you all posted. I still have visitation rights to the VC Defiant Encore. It'll sit in my inlaws beautifully done stone arched fireplace with a marble hearth under it and thick oak mantle over the top of it. They bought us a set of samsung front loading washer/dryer worth $1300 in trade. The Dutchwest went for a deal-of-the-century $400 with a new SS cat and used ceramic that's still good. That stove still looked brand new when I put it in the guys pick up! It went to a good family who will enjoy it this winter. I got a generator just in case of power outages. The other two oldies went for cheap but will be used again instead of rusting up in my basement! I can't wait to embark on a new journey though, hopefully wherever it takes me it'll be warm this winter. I wish the same for all of you! ;-)

Alright, here's a pic of the prospect:

Attachments

• enviro windsor.jpg
    enviro windsor.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 741
I am doing just the opposite. I quit burning wood last year and switched over to pellets. Bought a new Heatilator-Ecochoice and 3 tons of Somersets.

I never did adjust to the constant noise of the pellet stove. Even on low it was just too irritating for me. And there is obviously NO comparison in heat output. Its pretty weak compared to any woodstove.

So...the Woodstock Keystone that i was going to sell is now coming back up from the basement and the pellet stove will be sold. ( any takers? will make you a great deal if you come get it! lol).

I just need to find someone to install it and i can hardly wait for that first fire!

I suppose renting would make a big difference VC....and i hope you love the pellet stove.
I am 52 and i see the day i will go back to pellets for the ease of simply filling a hopper once a day! That part of it you will LOVE! I know i did.

I wish you only the best in the change-over.

Suckered me in with that bogus title; You will still be burning wood, the rounds are just a little smaller. :lol:
Good luck in your new adventure! :)

I am 61 and I can see the day when I will need to use propane 100% the time, but for now, I still cut, split, move wood and I will as long I can. I can't work with wood in the 100 degrees area, but it getting better now August is passed. My plan is to fix 5 chords up every spring and fall so I can use cured wood three years out. I have some 'old' wood for I can use two years out. This year I have done over 4 so I just have one left. Then I will do it again.

BrowningBAR said:

A) January 2012

C) First Power outage

Having been sucked into trying that myself for one winter, I will guess that somehow someway he'll be back to wood by next winter. Good Luck with your experiment.

VCBurner, good luck and thank you. I followed your install of the Dutchwest closely, as I bought the smaller one, 2460, and plan to install in the basement. I learned a lot from your detailed posts.

Good luck. I too have a pellet stove upstairs in my house. It is an Enviro m55. Pellet heat is nice, but the maintenance can be a pain and interesting work. But you seem to be detailed enough to figure it out. Come to think of it, if you tackle it with the same diligence and curiosity as you did the Dutchwest, you will have no problem you can't fix yourself. And you will have the pellet forum guys around to ask too.

Good luck again.

robertmcw said:
I am 61 and I can see the day when I will need to use propane 100% the time, but for now, I still cut, split, move wood and I will as long I can. I can't work with wood in the 100 degrees area, but it getting better now August is passed. My plan is to fix 5 chords up every spring and fall so I can use cured wood three years out. I have some 'old' wood for I can use two years out. This year I have done over 4 so I just have one left. Then I will do it again.
YOU can always BUY your wood.

VCBurner said:
I'll still be around just with bags instead of logs!! :lol:

Kind of like trading a real woman for a blow up doll.

I bet this winter on those cold long nights you will hear the wife and kids complain about how cold it is, and this coming spring will be looking at the pellet world with a new point of view. good luck and let us know how it's going this season.

I have used just my Quadrafire CB 1200, to heat my 2,180 sq ft home. I keep it at 75-76 degree's all Winter long. Never had a bad moment with it. When we bought it, I was hoping to reduce our LP consumption by about 50% (We were spending almost $4,000/yr in LP), but after the 1st couple days and the Furnace never coming on, We were shocked.... All this with the stove on its LOW setting. (Quads only have High/Med/Low - Except Mt V AE) Only time the stove hits Med is below 0 degrees outside. A lot of people dont run there stove 24/7. But I have found my homes temperature is much more comfortable and even when running all the time. Also found that pellet consumption is less than when I ran on Med/Hi with the Thermostat, and let the stove kick On/Off all day (Really hard on the ignitor/ Temp swings in the house/ not good) Our average use is about 4 tons a yr. But when you can find a Deal on some Pellets (Somersets/$175/ton) 4 tons is $700.

A lot of people think that whole house heating is impossible with a Pellet stove. The Heat is different, Yes...... But it "Recycles" the air in you home over and over (So does a Woodstove w/ blower. Seems like not many use one)
On a higher setting, it will make some noise, but like I said earlier. Once you get to know the stove and figure out what pellet it likes (Ash) and which one you like (Heat), running the stove 24/7 on a low/lower setting is much better and will heat a larger area to a more comfortable temperature.

We went with the Englander 30 to help reduce pellet consumption and also to warm the basement. My Man-Cave and the Wifes laundry room are down there. Our pipes never froze (Knock on wood), but they never will now with the 30 down there. After having my 1st Fire last night after I installed it, I can see how you will miss it. But be assured that Burning pellets is also very enjoyable. its not as Simple as Throw a Bag in and your done. There are things that must be maintained on a Pellet Stove. Some go more in depth than others. i went all out on m y Spring Cleaning this yr. Here is that thread. I would make sure that the Pellet stove "Works as Advertised". If the owner will not Fire it to ensure the Auger, Combustion blower, Convection blower, Ignitor, Etc all work, then walk away. A pellet stove does not need a flue on it to run a test. So if its outside and in his garage and he says "No". Buyer Beware. Good luck and that a Good Heater your looking at
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/75103/

trump said:
VCBurner said:

LOL!!!!! :lol:

I do hope this works out okay for you with the pellets. We'll be watching for you to get back to the real wood burning. Good luck.

trump said:
VCBurner said:

That statement could light off a whole new thread..... lol

I started off with pellets but the stove just couldnt heat the whole house, I suppose I could have bought a bigger one but I would have to put out over 5k and the pellets were scarce that year and expensive. As long as you get the right size stove you should be ok, just more maintenance involved, I had to clean and vacuum mine twice a week, sometimes the pellets jammed up and Id wake up to a cold house, thats a problem with the particular stove I had.
Good luck with yours, did you have any left over wood?

Wow I went camping for 4 days and came home to two members saying they had to quit burning wood! Sorry to hear what you are going through but glad to see that you are making the best of it. I was just thinking man I wonder when he is going to get the defiant installed so we can hear how he likes it and now we will never know. I wish you the best with the pellet stove. What type did you buy?

The first time he is without power will be the day he comes back....

vinny11950 said:
VCBurner, good luck and thank you. I followed your install of the Dutchwest closely, as I bought the smaller one, 2460, and plan to install in the basement. I learned a lot from your detailed posts.

Good luck. I too have a pellet stove upstairs in my house. It is an Enviro m55. Pellet heat is nice, but the maintenance can be a pain and interesting work. But you seem to be detailed enough to figure it out. Come to think of it, if you tackle it with the same diligence and curiosity as you did the Dutchwest, you will have no problem you can't fix yourself. And you will have the pellet forum guys around to ask too.

Good luck again.

Hey Vinny. I'm glad my posts helped. That was the whole point of documenting it, so others could learn from my journey and I could also look back at it. Thanks for the post! Take care.

DexterDay said:
I have used just my Quadrafire CB 1200, to heat my 2,180 sq ft home. I keep it at 75-76 degree's all Winter long. Never had a bad moment with it. When we bought it, I was hoping to reduce our LP consumption by about 50% (We were spending almost $4,000/yr in LP), but after the 1st couple days and the Furnace never coming on, We were shocked.... All this with the stove on its LOW setting. (Quads only have High/Med/Low - Except Mt V AE) Only time the stove hits Med is below 0 degrees outside. A lot of people dont run there stove 24/7. But I have found my homes temperature is much more comfortable and even when running all the time. Also found that pellet consumption is less than when I ran on Med/Hi with the Thermostat, and let the stove kick On/Off all day (Really hard on the ignitor/ Temp swings in the house/ not good) Our average use is about 4 tons a yr. But when you can find a Deal on some Pellets (Somersets/$175/ton) 4 tons is $700.

A lot of people think that whole house heating is impossible with a Pellet stove. The Heat is different, Yes...... But it "Recycles" the air in you home over and over (So does a Woodstove w/ blower. Seems like not many use one)
On a higher setting, it will make some noise, but like I said earlier. Once you get to know the stove and figure out what pellet it likes (Ash) and which one you like (Heat), running the stove 24/7 on a low/lower setting is much better and will heat a larger area to a more comfortable temperature.

We went with the Englander 30 to help reduce pellet consumption and also to warm the basement. My Man-Cave and the Wifes laundry room are down there. Our pipes never froze (Knock on wood), but they never will now with the 30 down there. After having my 1st Fire last night after I installed it, I can see how you will miss it. But be assured that Burning pellets is also very enjoyable. its not as Simple as Throw a Bag in and your done. There are things that must be maintained on a Pellet Stove. Some go more in depth than others. i went all out on m y Spring Cleaning this yr. Here is that thread. I would make sure that the Pellet stove "Works as Advertised". If the owner will not Fire it to ensure the Auger, Combustion blower, Convection blower, Ignitor, Etc all work, then walk away. A pellet stove does not need a flue on it to run a test. So if its outside and in his garage and he says "No". Buyer Beware. Good luck and that a Good Heater your looking at
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/75103/

Just the kind of answer I was looking for in my other thread. I appreciate this kind of detailed information on what to look for in a used stove. Also like the wood to pellet comparison. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.