got 1.5 chord this weekend .....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a trip to my father in laws cabin on the east side of Mt. Hood in Sportsmans park this last weekend. Just love going up there.

Brought the sprinter van, trailer, XR600R, and new Stihl 390 25". My father in law had a permit for the cutting area that was about 30 miles away, but I told him that wasn't worth it.

Jumped on the XR600R and started riding the forest roads. Found downed trees and marked them with the GPS. We were able to get about 1 chord for him, and I got some gigantic pine rounds off highway 48 probably totaling about 1/2 chord.

It was awesome. There I was up on a hill side cutting a 20" round pine. First round I cut off rolled down the hill, hit the ditch flew up in the area landing in the middle of the road. Then it kept going across the road and down a big cliff. I laughed my ass off :eek:), then kept cutting and carefully rolling them off the hillside so they toppled instead of rolled.

Up to 4 chords of uncut and un-split in my yard. I bet my neighbors talk about my wood piles all the time :eek:).

Sounds like you did real good finding wood. BTW, it's "cord" when you're talking about wood..."chord" when you're talking about music. :) Rick

Chord or cord... it's all music to the ears.

LLigetfa said:
Chord or cord... it's all music to the ears.

Can't argue with that. Rick

I will keep "cord" in mind ......

I'd love to see a pic of the wood you collected...and the Honda with the GPS aboard. Rick

I'll see what I can do ....

Currently getting ready for Oregon Offshore Yacht Race from Astoria to Victoria Canada. So little busy checking my safety/foul weather gear ....

Be safe, and have fun. It can be nasty out there, as I'm sure you know. What kind of boat are you sailing? Rick

fossil said:
Sounds like you did real good finding wood. BTW, it's "cord" when you're talking about wood..."chord" when you're talking about music. :) Rick

And a chard when you are talking about veggies.

:lol:

Matt

fossil said:
Be safe, and have fun. It can be nasty out there, as I'm sure you know. What kind of boat are you sailing? Rick

Thanks man. I am 43 years old and have 35 years of marine experience under my belt. More Columbia River bar crossings than other sailors because of my commercial fishing experience. Sailing on a J46 called "Riva".

This pictures was taken of us last year around 7 am coming threw race rocks into Victoria during swiftsure. I am the guy on the far right .....

Attachments

• Riva-9466.jpg
    Riva-9466.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 826
Beautiful. I'm 60 now. Kinda "grew up" on the water. 30+ years in the US Navy. I've sailed a lot of boats, but nothing larger than an Erickson 38. Be safe. Best of luck in the race. Let us know about it. Rick

29.5 hours for us to finish the race. 1st overall, 1st in class, & 1st in division.

It was a great sail up the coast and down the straights.

So you were removing wood from the famous Mt Hood...Huh! Cool sailing pic too, while watching a NG special I learned of the real strong currents in Puget sound. Very interesting hearing from you mack.

mackconsult said:
29.5 hours for us to finish the race. 1st overall, 1st in class, & 1st in division.

It was a great sail up the coast and down the straights.

Bravo Zulu! (top secret Navy code for "Well Done!"). Welcome home safely from the sea. Rick

Damn ..... the 390 died on me!!!!! All I did is hose it off after cutting :eek:(

Saw is back up and running ..... collected another 1.5 CHORD up on the east side of Mt. Hood for father in law. I think I am becoming one of his favorite's :eek:)

mackconsult said:
fossil said:

Thanks man. I am 43 years old and have 35 years of marine experience under my belt. More Columbia River bar crossings than other sailors because of my commercial fishing experience. Sailing on a J46 called "Riva".

This pictures was taken of us last year around 7 am coming threw race rocks into Victoria during swiftsure. I am the guy on the far right .....

Is there a wood stove on the boat?
What kind of wood is the boat made of?
Is it seasoned or wet wood?
:)

Ratman said:
Is there a wood stove on the boat?
What kind of wood is the boat made of?
Is it seasoned or wet wood?
:)

I know what you are thinking...but finely crafted teak does not go in the stove no matter how cold you are out on the water. That is worse than eyeing your wife's dining room table.

mackconsult said:
Saw is back up and running ..... collected another 1.5 CHORD up on the east side of Mt. Hood for father in law. I think I am becoming one of his favorite's :eek:)

Please do not take this wrong but there is a big difference between a chord and a cord. Wood is measured in cords. And I wouldn't mind going with you to help you get a few cords either.

Status
Not open for further replies.