Got a free roof for the wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sgt7546

Sep 28, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
So its almost a whole week since the Hampton insert was installed. As I said in a previous post i have about six cords of locust and cherry that was c/s/s in April-ish.
I had the top only covered by tarps all summer long. During a summer storm my "rubbermaid" shed blew away, leaving me a pile of unusable rubbermaid panels. Last night while reading the forum I came up with the idea to use the panels to cover my wood. So a few panels and a few 2x4's later here's the result:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_aCAx7GK_AO0/TKjkltaTb0I/AAAAAAAAABA/SSJthb2TXs0/s400/DSCF0961.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_aCAx7GK_AO0/TKjkuvuDyEI/AAAAAAAAABU/uwqLbIf1pD8/s400/DSCF0963.JPG

This is my future wood pile. There was a pool in this area until about a month ago. I have 1.5 cords of locust that I got last weekend and hope to be able to store atleast 15 cords in this area total.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_aCAx7GK_AO0/TKjn8cc9RGI/AAAAAAAAABg/l_adE8w-XQc/s400/DSCF0966.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_aCAx7GK_AO0/TKjoAsH5nzI/AAAAAAAAABk/CHdck-FbloU/s400/DSCF0967.JPG

Cool idea. I like seeing things used more than once.

"Use it up, wear it out. Make it do or do without" -old New England saying, I think.

"Use it up, wear it out. Make it do or do without" -old New England saying, I think.[/quote]

That was Maine Pellet Head's signature line.

There is a company called J.R. Liggett's that makes shampoo bars (great for camping) and that saying is printed on the side of the package.

That is a great idea sgt7546.

Only one word of caution. Make sure of where the water is going to go when it rains. With the smaller pieces you must check every one to see which end is the low end else you will find to your dismay that a lot of water has flowed into that beautiful stack of wood every time it has rained. This produces an effect that you might not find to your best advantage. Even if you have to take a level to find the low end, it must be done before you ruin the wood. Yes, I speak with experience on this note. Just yesterday as I was moving some wood I found one spot that either I was not careful with or something had moved and there was created a funnel where all the water went so had a big area of really soaked wood. Needless to say, I went around and rechecked all the stacks of wood to make certain that did not happen again.

I like it. So, are those just screwed/nailed on the crosswise 2x4s and then the vertical 2x4s are just nailed/screwed to the pallets? very simple.

Dune said:
"Use it up, wear it out. Make it do or do without" -old New England saying, I think.

That was Maine Pellet Head's signature line.[/quote]

It may have been MPH's signature line . . . but it was a well known Yankee saying long before he started using it as a signature. ;)

Backwoods Savage,

Thanks for the advice. That area where the wood is naturally slopes downwards. I have about a 20 inch height differnce from the top of the stack to the bottom, so when i put the roof on i started at the bottom and worked up, each piece upwards sits on top of the lower one with about a 4 to 6 inch overlap. I also ran a bead of cheap calk that i had laying around between the sections. It rained about two hours after I finished building the roof so I went out and was happy to find that water was only running off the lower end.

Danno,

Yeah, simple two upright 2x4's cut to 50 inches and one cross section which were just screwed together. The tupperware panels were just screwed down to the 2x4's. I debated rather this will hold but i shook the thing quite a bit and nothing came loose. If i see any signs of the plastic tearing at the screw holes i'll probably back the screws out and add those cheap 1'' washer to the screws just to give a bigger bite.

Sgt, that should work very nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.