Got a load of Oak yesterday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andybaker

Feeling the Heat
Oct 31, 2008
Northwest OH
These are a few pics of a load I got yesterday. It's mostly all Red Oak with a little bit of White Oak in there. Originally the gut told me about loads of 6-8 cords for a $50 delivery fee for the driver. I called yesterday to tell him I didn't want one because it's getting too late in the season and I won't be able to get it done before the holidays. He told me he a load right now, Oak, and it wasn't a huge load so I told him to bring it. It still cost the same, but I figured, what the heck, I'll try it. Well, it's not a huge load, maybe 2 1/2 - 3 cord, but it's a nice size for me to handle at a time. I don't think my neighbors would like to see 6 cord worth piled up in my front yard anyway. Turns out, the driver tells me that this is about the normal size load after-all. What do you guys think? If I went and cut it up it would be about 6 trailer loads. The trailer I use is 4x8. I think it is worth it just to save the time of cutting, loading, hauling and unloading. The other option is I could take the trailer there and they would load it, I could pick it up and bring home, take the trailer back and do all over again. Doing that way though I wouldn't have a pick of what I would be getting like I do with this way.

Attachments

• 100_3892.jpg
    100_3892.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 379
  • 100_3891.jpg
    100_3891.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 394
  • 100_3890.jpg
    100_3890.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 361
$50.00 ? Send him my way !
Cant buy fuel for the truck for that. You did good.What part of northwest Ohio.?

I'm in Maumee right next to Toledo. If you need some just e-mail me and I'll send you his way. He just gets rid of it all because it's not worth precessing for firewood and selling. I'm sure you don't always get a perfect load, I hear a lot of loads have real large rounds, but I prefer those anyway.

I think that is a great deal. The neighbors might not think so, but that is their problem.

I love to see a big pile of wood on the front lawn in the 'burbs

That's a great deal. Congrats.

the guy me an my buddy have been getting wood from just leaves it and charges nothing. otherwise he pays to dump it. he doesnt want to sell it so he has people he just leaves it with. lot of huge stuff. but fun stuff.

What do we think? Are you kidding? That is fantastic! Over two cords of oak, delivered for fifty bucks? I would never fell another tree if I could get that kind of deal.

Curious, gonna buck and split that stuff right there? Sounds like a block party to me :)

Thanks guys, I feel better. I've never bought any wood before but I thought about it and just the amount of time I save makes up for that. My time is limited, especially this time of year. It'll be interesting to see exactly how much it ends up being. I've got my eye on one more Ash and that might be enough to get me into the winter after next. And yes, I split it all right there. Never get any help, but that's ok, I enjoy it.

andybaker said:
Thanks guys, I feel better. I've never bought any wood before but I thought about it and just the amount of time I save makes up for that. My time is limited, especially this time of year. It'll be interesting to see exactly how much it ends up being. I've got my eye on one more Ash and that might be enough to get me into the winter after next. And yes, I split it all right there. Never get any help, but that's ok, I enjoy it.

Nothing more satisfying than than processing some or all of your wood. At the end of the day when I load the stove, I just say it was all worth it. I also notice the oil trucks drive by and wonder how many others are going to catch on!

Status
Not open for further replies.