Got a new supplier (sort of)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LLigetfa

Minister of Fire
Nov 9, 2008
NW Ontario
I've been calling and calling my usual wood guy but could never reach him. I finally ask around at our truck scale whether they'd seen him and they said he left town but thought his son took over the business. Anyway, I got the son's number and talked to him about bringing me 10 cord of Ash. He's supposed to deliver it tomorrow.

I know what I'll be doing tomorrow.

sounds like fun.

Ja, ground is frozen and we have snow cover so it should be clean.

LLigetfa said:
Ja, ground is frozen and we have snow cover so it should be clean.

It was froze up here pretty decent till a week ago. Last year we had 4-5 feet of snow on the ground. This year we haven't had much over 6" at any one time. Been a bad year for logging. Glad you're getting your wood. A few of your post told me you were sweatin over it!

I got up early this morning and took out the snow thrower to clear the area. Now I wait for the delivery.

Looks great - 10 cord load there? All ash? Cheers!

Glad that worked out for you. As for frozen ground, ours was frozen a little bit but the last week has seen us with mud. No frost around here that I know of. Actually the fields are not that bad for mud in most spots. We were driving over our food plot this week and it is dry. Today we were in a neighbor's field to see if we could haul some wood out because we have some along the line fence that needs to come down. Looks to me like we'll have no problems.

Nice pile there. Have fun with it. That sure does look like a nice way to cut compared to my usual roadside scrounging.

Nice, looks straight and clean. Should keep you busy for awhile. How do you get the logs off the top? Can you just roll them down or do you have to pull them with your tractor?

Ja, 10 cord of Ash. I use a 4 foot iron bar to tumble down the logs from the top if I can't roll them down by hand.

Nice looking load of wood, what did that cost ya?

Hard to imagine that whole pile will eventually go into a little 3 cu ft (or so) box and get converted to ash.

Hopefully it will take until 2016 for the last of it to turn from Ash to ashes. That pile set me back $1K as it sits.

Looks like a lot of fun. Wish I had that frozen ground to work with. Stinking mess here.

LLigetfa said:
Hopefully it will take until 2016 for the last of it to turn from Ash to ashes. That pile set me back $1K as it sits.

That's right, it's already "ash", you need to turn it to ashes. LOL
That's a decent price, they pay that much for a load like that of pine around here.

Today I decided to start in on the load of logs. Seems my bar oil went AWOL so had to pick up a new jug of it. I treated my saw to a new Stihl RS chain and dressed up the bar. Didn't get much bucked up but it was a start.

Very nice stack.
Looks like a great location & good weather to work on the pile.
Have fun.

Nice setup and pretty tempting. No hauling equipment required, you know exactly what the full true cost of the wood is and can work on it when you want for as little or long as you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.