got a question on trailer tires?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RIDGERUNNER30

Feb 7, 2009
Eastern, Kentucky
I have a guy down the road from me that gave me a trailer, I want to use it to haul firewood out of the woods with, the trailer looks to be about four to five feet wide and about six feet long, it's a homemade trailer but built better than what you can buy. My question is the guy that had it removed the hubs to put on a boat trailer and also used the tires to. I would like to use a wide tire like a atv tire for better control in the woods what kind of hubs do i need to get

RIDGERUNNER30 said:
I have a guy down the road from me that gave me a trailer, I want to use it to haul firewood out of the woods with, the trailer looks to be about four to five feet wide and about six feet long, it's a homemade trailer but built better than what you can buy. My question is the guy that had it removed the hubs to put on a boat trailer and also used the tires to. I would like to use a wide tire like a atv tire for better control in the woods what kind of hubs do i need to get

Better control? How fast will you be towing this trailer? A 4'x6' trailer with 3' of wood stacked on it will be a much heavier load (1/2+ cord) than I'd think ATV tires are meant to haul. Run this past your local tire guy and do whatever he recommends. Most of us here are just running our necks.

without going outside to look at mine, I think there 8 ply running 80 PSI. My truck has 3500 pound axles. I don't believe an ATV tire is rates to carry much weight either. Northern tool has a great selection of trailer stuff if there is one by you.

In most cases taller tires are more important than wider tires in the woods . A 5 bolt with 4 1/2 inch bolt circle is the most common bolt pattern.

If you are just towing it around your woods, i.e. not on the road, I would go find some used truck tires. You can easily spend as much on rubber as you do a used trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.