Got a screw loose

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stegman

Feeling the Heat
Jan 4, 2011
Sterling, MA
Actually it's a bolt on my Jotul Castine. I was cleaning the stove today and noticed the top bolt on the inside left burn plate was loose. I hand tightened it but I'm wondering:
  • How it got loose
  • If it's a big deal or a symptom of something else [overfiring? I sure hope not]
  • If I should do something beyond hand tightening it
I'm hoping maybe it got jarred loose during delivery or when the chimney sweeps moved the stove out of the way to do their thing. This is our third year burning with it, and I've had the chimney swept prior to each burning season.

The other bolts seemed fine.

If you're interested, it would be part number 30 on the diagram below [but the upper of the two bolts], which holds part number 47 to the outside piece.

http://www.jotul.com/FileArchive/Te...00 Castine/Exploded_view_F_400_P08_151110.pdf

Thoughts?

Just tighten it back up. Thermal expansion and contraction can sometime work things loose.

Tighten it up and in a month check it. If it is still tight you are good to go. If you find that it has worked loose again, you can always use the farmer loctite. (that would be putting a small ding in the threads to create friction;))

So nothing major to worry about then? Cool.

Thanks guys.

Farmer loctite, I love it.
My door latch bolt keeps backing out on me and I am thinking about red loctite. I put gorilla glue on it and that didnt last. Any thoughts?

20190121_104224.jpg

For some reason it feels like 2013 again....

Red loctite is known to give up under heat. I don’t know what that temp is, but wonder if the heat of a stove (repeatedly) would cause it failure. I guess there is no harm in trying.

Farmer loctite, I love it.
My door latch bolt keeps backing out on me and I am thinking about red loctite. I put gorilla glue on it and that didnt last. Any thoughts?
Same issue on my Quad. Freakin' nut on the handle is constantly backing off enough to allow the handle to spin 360 degrees when latching. It shouldn't do that. It needs just a little more room to add a jam nut but.....

Same issue on my Quad. Freakin' nut on the handle is constantly backing off enough to allow the handle to spin 360 degrees when latching. It shouldn't do that. It needs just a little more room to add a jam nut but.....
Replace it with a new locknut. They wear out after a while. I prefer double nuts like regency uses over quads locknut's. But quads handles aren't long enough.