Got a spray foam quote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 11, 2010
I called up a local company that deals with spray foam insulation. They've done underground boiler lines for apartment buildings before, so it's not an entirely new process to them. The guy quoting me told me to space the lines 2" apart and space them 2" off the ground with foam blocks. He's going to put 2" all the way around and in between. The quote came in at $9-$10 per foot (or $720-$800 for my 80' underground). Add that to the cost of the 1-1/4" PEX and I'm looking at about $11.50 per foot insulated not calculating the cost of me renting the trencher. Is there any well-made pre-insulated 1-1/4" pipe that comes in around that price?

Not that I have found and that's why nearly all of ours go in that way. Just make sure he's spraying closed cell foam. You should be all right if your guy has done that type of work before. He'll know what is needed.

I buried 150' of 1-1/4" thermopex today. I paid $13.00/ft for the line last year. Thermopex is two 1-1/4" lines inside a 5" diameter pipe surrounded by foam insulation. Hard to work with but started digging at 10:00 am,installed thermopex,cored 6" hole in foundation,ran a 150' of 1-1/4 conduit,pulled 150' of CAT 5E wire,backfilled, cocktails by 6:00pm. Need to go to bed.

I was told $60 per ft for twin 2 inch insulated which is ouch.

all 1 1/4 I've priced is around $16 / foot and 1" is around $13.00 / foot

I'm considering buying from this company:

http://www.outdoorfurnacesupply.com

I don't know what the freight would be on this, but the price before shipping looks pretty good:

http://www.outdoorfurnacesupply.com/watts-insulated-pex5-wrap-length-p-433.html

I'll be using 1" pex for my outdoor boiler, for a 75' run.

For me it's within driving distance, so I can pick it up in person and save on shipping. They also have a lot of other parts I'll need (like a heat exchanger for my furnace plenum.) They usually sell nice sidearms, but currently their supplier is on back order. Their website doesn't even show products if they don't have them in stock, so I was surprised when the sidearms disappeared, and they emailed me and told me their supplier is sold out for at least a couple months.

Again, I haven't used them, but so far I know of no reason why I shouldn't, and the prices look pretty good.

Scott in Penfield NY

3rd season running Maxx R around 1 1/4" pexal pex. Running about 50 feet from garage to house with less than 1 degree of heat loss between wood boiler in the garage and the oil boiler in the basement. If I remember correctly it was about $9 per foot at that time without the pex. Bought from This Warm House in Mansfield PA http://maxx-r.com/

I'm hoping to buy a Waste Oil boiler to heat my soon to be purchased 60x90 warehouse,,and then bury some piping 125 to my house... It's all driveway, so the foam needs to be 5' down, and inside a corrugated sewer pipe

Here' the price of the piping I'm thinking of using

Barrier Pex 1 1/4" 20' @ $56 = $2.80 p ft

" " 2" 20' @$115

Corrugated Black Roll 6" 100' @ $140

" " Stick 8" 1' @ 6.50

" " " 10" 1' @10.50

So that means 2x 1 1/4 PEX inside an 8' sewer pipe would cost $12 per foot, + the foam truck I'd have to pay to have on the job as I'd lay this into the 5' deep trench.

The CleanBurn Waste Oil Tech also mentioned that it's imperative to have a return temp above 140f, as the boiler will condensate below 140, and form acid on the heat coil. CB provides for a mixing valve to mix in hot outlet water to increase the return temp to avoid this prob. Think heat loss in the trench, or a very cold house on a very cold day.

I'm also going to consider a work bench oil storage tank. They offer a 250 gallon bench, but I'm thinking closer to 1000 gals, depending on cost. Solid work bench, and the oil's inside the building

Status
Not open for further replies.