Got a stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireAnt

Minister of Fire
Dec 18, 2009
Central CT
After doing some research and all the help from this site I got a stove. I got a Summers Heat (Englander) 13. I am going to hearth mount it. I was going to wait till the end of the season for a sale but where I am located I only found 2 so I grabbed one. I will probably hold off on the installation till I get all things in order. I have a good supply of wood but it is not ready yet. I don't want to get to discouraged right out of the box with wet wood. I may also change the mantel on my fireplace but that depends on $$$. I need to get a liner and am still trying to get info on an offset box to see if it is worth it.

Thanks for all the help from everyone on here! More questions will probably follow...

Anthony

It's great to see that you appear to have an understanding of moisture content. That's the biggest milestone for a newbie.

My family and friends think I am nuts about the seasoning stuff. I am splitting wood and telling people that it's 2012's supply. I can't wait to get it going and get burning but I will wait to do it right. Next year may be bio bricks and 15 to 18 month seasoned birch and maple.

FireAnt said:
My family and friends think I am nuts about the seasoning stuff. I am splitting wood and telling people that it's 2012's supply. I can't wait to get it going and get burning but I will wait to do it right. Next year may be bio bricks and 15 to 18 month seasoned birch and maple.

Congrats on the stove. As you become more familiar with the varying heating properties of various kinds of wood, you'll be able to manage the woodpile accordingly.

White birch is a fast dring wood. I have some that was felled and immediatley split and stacked last Feb. that's burning fine now. Not so much with the red and white oaks that came down at the same time.

Same deal with that (probably Norway) maple you scored. Should be good in 12 months. Red and silver maple dry quick, too. Not so much sugar maple, which holds its moisture a lot longer.

FireAnt said:

Well hold on there partner . . . you may actually be able to use this wood in 2010-2011 . . . depending on the species (i.e. if you were able to get some white ash and the birch might work out), how you split it (smaller vs. larger splits), how and where it is stacked (i.e. exposed to sun and wind and loose stacked, etc.) I mean if you get this wood split and stacked now and don't burn until October or so that would give you 9 months which isn't so bad . . . and by the time you get to January or February you'll have wood that has been seasoned for a year or so . . . which isn't so bad compared to a lot of "seasoned" wood that newbies end up buying or wood that folks cut up in August or September thinking that they will be able to use it in October or November.

Congratulations! and I'm in complete agreement about the wet/green wood stuff. It's hard to believe it takes that much time to cure up but it does and it's worth the wait. I agree that red oak can take upwards of 2 yrs. to really dry, but I'd add that red maple (Acer rubrum, the "swamp maple) takes about as long to cure, too. We have a lot of them on our property and they really like areas that swampy and moist, so it makes sense that they take longer to dry out.

Status
Not open for further replies.