Got a Tri-Axle Load Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
Had it delivered out at the end of the driveway, just off the road, under the electric wires.
It'll be a hassle moving the rounds to the splitting area but I diudn't have to deal with the truck's outriggers on the driveway, or, it turns out, the oil leak, or the inevitable pressure about removing the logs that would've encroached on the driveway.
Not sure of the wood types, but saw some maple, ash, oak, and birch. I'm not that happy about the birch, but, what the hay.

Attachments

• Log Delivery.jpg
    Log Delivery.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 1,065
How long are those logs? What kind of cord count did they estimate?

I've got a load on order for June, dropped a year ago (birch, but that's the good stuff here). I was told it will be a solid 9 cords, 45' long. It's my first time on a project like that, and I expect we'll have our hands full for awhile.

what kind of prices are you guys looking at?

Cheapest I could find around here was 6 cords for 795
I much prefer free. :]

I don't know how long the tri-axled truck was. It was the kind with a grapple crane on the back. The logger said 7, but I'm thinking about 6. It was 650. I found someone who sells cut/split/delivered for 160, so what am I saving, 50 bucks a cord? Not sure it's worth the effort, but again, what the hay.

Here's a pic from another angle:

Attachments

• Log Delivery 2.jpg
    Log Delivery 2.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 864
I know what you mean. The 9-cord load is supposed to be about $1700, and I can get it for 175 a cord cut to length--in theory, at least. However, the logging load has been dropped for a year, so six of one, a dozen of the other, as the saying sorta goes. We will see, indeed . . . thanks for sharing this.

Looks like fun.
Birch is my only hard wood. To me, best firewood.

bogydave said:
Looks like fun.

Will cheerfully take birch off the hands of anyone who doesn't want theirs. After getting through a winter of very old poplar that had to be dug out of the snow and dragged in from the woods on a sled, I am acquiring a supply of birch. Can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to using this. I think about how much more pleasing a wood it is to work with--it's clean, the bark is a dream to use for firestarter instead of a punky mess to sweep up--and it throws out a lot of heat. At 23,600,000 btu/cord, it's kept -40 on the other side of a lot of walls up here. I'll still have some dry aspen and balsalm poplar around to mix with it, but birch will be the Good Stuff.

bogydave said:
Looks like fun.

Will cheerfully take birch off the hands of anyone who doesn't want theirs. After getting through a winter of very old poplar that had to be dug out of the snow and dragged in from the woods on a sled, I am acquiring a supply of birch. Can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to using this. I think about how much more pleasing a wood it is to work with--it's clean, the bark is a dream to use for firestarter instead of a punky mess to sweep up--and it throws out a lot of heat. At 23,600,000 btu/cord, it's kept -40 on the other side of a lot of walls up here.

velvetfoot said:
I'm not that happy about the birch, but, what the hay.

Set it aside and I'll come get it. Birch is great...not the highest BTU content or anything, but it burns just fine, splits easy and the bark is a great fire starter.

Looks good velvet and don't worry about that birch except to make sure you get them cut to length and split as soon as possible else they may turn punky on you. No doubt you've read on this forum many times how birch bark will hold the moisture in and make the wood rot from the inside out. But get it split and stacked and it will still be good firewood next winter.

Darn sure does not look like a 6-7 cord pile there, but also dont know much about smaller log diameter log loads.

velvetfoot said:
I guess I'll see when I stack it up.

Very interested. Someday I hope this is the route for me, cant keep busting 10 cords a year an milling forever.

Do it while you can though Jay. Enjoy what you have and cherish it. Later on in life you will be able to look back and recall those good days. It will bring you much pleasure.

Backwoods Savage said:
Do it while you can though Jay. Enjoy what you have and cherish it. Later on in life you will be able to look back and recall those good days. It will bring you much pleasure.

Yea but I already know I will never be fast as I am right now....Everything is perfect other than my body just not quite the same. Maybe after kayak season it will be better.lol

velvetfoot said:
I don't know how long the tri-axled truck was. It was the kind with a grapple crane on the back. The logger said 7, but I'm thinking about 6. It was 650. I found someone who sells cut/split/delivered for 160, so what am I saving, 50 bucks a cord? Not sure it's worth the effort, but again, what the hay.

I'm thinking of getting a tri-axle load but wonder if it's really worth it. I can get Oak, cut, split, and delivered for $150 per cord while a tri-axle load goes for $100-120 per cord. Not much savings there.

Todd said:
I'm thinking of getting a tri-axle load but wonder if it's really worth it. I can get Oak, cut, split, and delivered for $150 per cord while a tri-axle load goes for $100-120 per cord. Not much savings there.

Someone recently started advertising 5 cord green split delivered oak & maple for $750 in my area. If it really is five cords of good wood @ $150/cord that's a huge bargain around here. Split delivered wood is normally $200-300/cord in eastern MA.

Before I saw that advertised, I got a tri-axle load for $550. When the rather large truck pulled up with the bottom half of the logs 2' in diameter, my wife questioned my sanity. :-D Already split 3 cords of oak and 1.5 cords of Maple. I think there is another 1.5 cords of oak, 1.5 cords of maple, and one small ash log left to go. So that's 7.5 cords for $550 of wood + $50 in gas & equipment wear ... $80 per cord.

Lets say I spent 5.5 hours processing each cord to save $70. That's $12.75/hour tax free. Like working a paid job for $18.50/hour in my own driveway on my own schedule. While I wouldn't want to process firewood full time, its not a bad side job a few weekends a year for me.

Karl, who do you use? I live in Central MA and so far only found two people that will do a grapple load of 8 cord. One wants $960 and the other $800. Maybe if it's a good distance east of me, they won't deliver. I've already contacted two east of me that won't.

velvetfoot said:
5.5 hours? I spend that much time thinking about what I'm going to do.

Cutting and splitting only. I spend another 3+ hours moving and stacking to get my parking space back, but I'd have to do that even if I had it dumped in the driveway already split.

Tansao said:
Karl, who do you use? I live in Central MA and so far only found two people that will do a grapple load of 8 cord. One wants $960 and the other $800. Maybe if it's a good distance east of me, they won't deliver. I've already contacted two east of me that won't.

Marquis Tree. They deliver free within 15 miles of Billerica and I am. No idea what delivery fees there are outside the area or if they want to deal with the wood quarantine in your area.

http://www.market4free.com/classifieds/ads/for-sale/materials-fabrics/25211940

Bleh. Marquis was a company I contacted that said they wouldn't deliver out this far.

Damn shame about the beetles. So much wood going to waste!

Status
Not open for further replies.