Got a wood hook-up yesterday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D8Chumley

Minister of Fire
Jun 25, 2013
Collegeville PA
I'm at work yesterday afternoon and out towards the back of the job, I see a truck pull into the driveway of the pump station. A man and his dog get out and start towards where I'm at. I stop when I see the name on the door is the tree service about 5 miles from my house. I ask him if he's doing any cutting, but he is just taking his golden retriever to the small pond for a swim. Of course I throw him the sales pitch if he gets any logs/rounds, I burn and would love to get a load or 12 dropped at my house. He says if he is as close to his yard as where I live he just dumps it at his yard. He also sells firewood, but the kicker is- he says I will give you whatever you want you just have to come to the yard and cut it up. He will show me the piles I can cut from and to help myself, FREE!! He says a lot of it is good stuff not just pine :) So I thank him and say maybe a few months or at least a few weeks until we slow down- pretty busy this time of year, and I ask if he is the boss. He says he is the owner, and to stop at his yard whenever I have time. Can I get a HELL YEAH??
EDIT: I see a small BriMar dump trailer in my future hahaha

Reactions: Osagebndr
and a little recon on his favorite beer or better yet - His wife's favorite wine would be in order!! If it were me I would stop by sooner, rather than later, with only the intention of solidifying the relationship with something of value to give away.

That's a big 10-4 on the beer recon. I had planned to ask when I do finally get over there

Very nice! At face value, it's a little less convenient than getting a load dropped in your yard, but you get the benefit of being able to take the best pieces

I love getting dump truck loads dumped for free, but I'm always left with quite a pile of crotches and uglies, and on occasion some lesser woods

That's a good point bb. Might have to see about borrowing a trailer to maximize my haul

Id look into it for sure. Even a small utility trailer will carry 1/2 a cord, and they can be had pretty cheap on Craigslist

I traded a play station for my current trailer years ago ;lol

I have a little Bantam military trailer I use behind my quad for scrounging/splitting and I might take that. But my buddy has a nice tandem BriMar dump trailer I have borrowed before so I'll see if I can get that again. I want to scope it out first, might just take the truck only.

Here's a Hell Yeah! For ya. My hook up came from a fellow Marine that lives1/2 mile away:cool: gotta love a freebie!

Reactions: D8Chumley
Status
Not open for further replies.