Got caught up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basswidow

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Milton GA
Rented a 24 ton splitter for $ 60 and split 3 cords in about 9.5 hrs. It could be used either horizontal or vertical. I can't tell you how great it was to just sit and split. I didn't like the stand vs a jack stand - it was extremely heavy to lift onto the hitch and move around.

One tree I scrounged ( the rounds with the brown centers near the splitter ) must be sweet gum, because it was all stringy. I used the splitter on all the rounds - and I will finish it off with a saw.

This picture is when I was just getting started and took a break for lunch. My 3 year old is in the picture - but my 10 year old actually enjoyed operating the splitter and watching it work.

Who ever created a splitter is a bonifide genius and deserves some sort of national notoritety. I'm eating crow - thinking I could hand split all this.

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 549
Nice work! I need to help dad split this weekend, but I have a mild hernia, and I'm supposed to be "taking it easy". :-(

nice picture of the splitter and your little foreman. how many cord do you have there? keep the little guy interested in your operation, in time he will be a big help!

Nice job with the wood. When I was a young kid my dad and grandfather used to let me control the lever on the splitter and now my dad gets to control that very same lever. Its very good to get them interested at a young age good job.

I walked around my processing area assessing how much snow there is still to melt before I can get started on the splitting. I even poked at the snow with a shovel as if it would speed it up. Looks like it will be a few more weeks of waiting.

My two sons have grown and moved away and the wife's no help so I get to pull my own lever.

you and me both LLigetfa ;)

Nice work Basswidow. Its great to get the kids involved, whether it speeds you up or slows ya down. That bright green grass in the pic was starting to hurt my eyes. Enjoy the rest of your splitting this Easter weekend. Maybe hid some eggs in those piles of splits and have the older one start stacking it. :lol: I rented a splitter last year myself and will never do it any other way again unless I'm camping. Cheers. N of 60

Yes, it isn't fair that you have green grass already....

Good job and glad you have a good helper.

Wednesday 4/9 I cut two truckloads of Cherry in the snow (flurries).

Thursday 4/10 I split it all in short sleeves - mid sixties.

I am not sure how much I have - the pictures don't do justice, the far pile is very wide. I won't know till I get it all stacked.

The thing about the green grass - is mowing. My neighbors are already cutting. I hate mowing, because most of my yard is too sloped and I have a walk behind. But I am happy for spring.

Happy easter all!

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 344
iam going with 4.25 cords in them 2 piles

That would be great - if so. 4 is all I need per winter.

Can't wait to get it stacked. Need to get a big hand truck. Tractor Supply - here I come.

Status
Not open for further replies.