Got clipped by a tree limb/ Coulda been a lot worse

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leftyscott

Apr 6, 2009
arkansas
Needed to clear an ice-damaged hanger (4 inch diameter tree split by last year's ice storm.) Anyway, I started yanking on it as the piece was hanging about 6 feet off the ground. Piece comes down flips around and nails me right on the side. Sat down for a few minutes, saying to myself "that's gonna leave a mark" in addition to a few unprintable expletives. Went on to my chain-sawing and that was it. Don't want to think what would have happened if I got hit in the head.

Attachments

• pain2.jpg
    pain2.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 430
Glad it ended up the way it did. Sometimes the little owies teach all of us lessons on how to avoid the big ones.

Looks like it's time to sit by the fire and incinerate that branch... even if it is a little wet still. :D

Matt

yup...that would be a sit down for me too...good thing you weren't impaled.

That which doesn't kill you makes quite a mark.

A close one , just be careful out there

Glad your ok, how are the ribs?

Zap

Glad you are ok, mostly anyway. Sometimes the best lessons are the most painful ones. When I first started felling trees I did not always wear a hardhat .After discovering that if you get hit hard enough in the head it sounds like someone hit a 55 gallon drum with your head in it, I ALways wear one..

I haven't ended up with a mark quite that bad, but I sure have come close. You aren't the only one who has done something that in hindsight seems like it should have been done differently.

I can still hear the old logger: "If you're going to play in the woods, you are going to get bruises."

I was once walking under a perfectly healthy tree once and a 3 inch branch fell behind me. The small branches just brushed me. Another 2' back it, could all been over.

A life saving tip for you guys felling dead standing.

Stand fully erect and look up frequently when making your notch cuts and back cuts.
Standing up eliminates the back area as a target for falling debris.

You can always go back and cut off that waist high stump if your not laying in a coffin or hospital bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.