Got er out Zap!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

loon

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2010
ont canada
kinda anti climatic but still had fun ;-P

DSC09186-1.jpg

DSC09189.jpg

this was a little iffie as i had to do some limbing to get it un jammed :cheese:

DSC09191.jpg

still probably 2 or 3 trailer loads there which i'll get on the weekend...

loon

Wow, that's going to give you a nice stack of wood! Is it dead/dry or does it need seasoned?

Nice! White oak? Cheers!

Why didn't you take the whole thing loon?

cate, it must of went down a couple weeks ago with the big wind storm we had? snapped right at the base. will cut/split , and it will be in the stove next year..

nhwood its a big ole maple, which i leave alone on the property ;-P

Solar.. this maple was a big pain in the butt %-P and didnt want to cut it down just to drag the fallen one...

kinda hard to explain but i didnt have alot of room dragging it straight out with the other trees around.

DSC09188.jpg

gotcha, there was a stick in that middle pic that made me think you had a 3 pt winch.

Looks like fun Loon!

Loon that is a good size maple, you'll have some nice btu's from that. Can I say that tractor would look nice in the foothills of the Adirondacks.

zap

zapny said:
Loon that is a good size maple, you'll have some nice btu's from that. Can I say that tractor would look nice in the foothills of the Adirondacks.

zap

if i leave first thing in the morning, we should be dragging by Saturday afternoon ;-P

loon

Haven't taught the dog to drive the tractor yet? You are the guy with the large dog who is always driving his ATV, truck, etc. right? Of course I could be mistaken . . . I am easily confused.

firefighterjake said:
Haven't taught the dog to drive the tractor yet? You are the guy with the large dog who is always driving his ATV, truck, etc. right? Of course I could be mistaken . . . I am easily confused.

now ya got me on a mission :cheese:

will see what i can do...

loon

loon said:
firefighterjake said:

loon

Hehheh . . . you know we love seeing those pics of your dogs driving everything you own!!!

loon said:
zapny said:

zap

if i leave first thing in the morning, we should be dragging by Saturday afternoon ;-P

loon

Loon, plenty of trees we can drag that are down.

zap

firefighterjake said:
loon said:
firefighterjake said:

loon

Hehheh . . . you know we love seeing those pics of your dogs driving everything you own!!!

:)

didnt happen tonight as after work we just drove the fields.. but did find another good score here ;-)

Santa brought me a new camera which i aint got a clue about?? but trying...

DSC_0039.jpg

got halfway to your place zap but homeland security nailed me at the border again :cheese:

loon

Loon those are some nice size trees, any idea what kind? Throw the old hockey bag with equipment in it and when you get to the border tell thim you're going to the Colton Classic.

zap

zapny said:
Loon those are some nice size trees, any idea what kind? Throw the old hockey bag with equipment in it and when you get to the border tell thim you're going to the Colton Classic.

zap

both Maple again but the one on the right is looking a little top punky,which is fine as the bottom will have a pile of Savages vertical splits ;-P

and the bag is already packed for the Classic :cheese:

loon

off at noon today zap, so figured i would go and deal with those new trees ;-)

no problems at all...

DSC09206.jpg

even went deep for this ash ;-P

DSC09208.jpg

BUT!! was getting ready to try and get across the border again and the tractor went missing :bug:

DSC09221.jpg

Murphy must of found the key firefighterJake :cheese:

loon

[quote author="loon" date="1293857721"]off at noon today zap, so figured i would go and deal with those new trees ;-)

no problems at all...

Nice haul and great pictures loon, tell murph and emma (thanks loon) they have a big fan over here. (Mrs.Zap)

Loon that is a nice size maple, how much wood do you think is in that tree. (cords)

Zap

loon said:
zapny said:
how much wood do you think is in that tree. (cords)
not sure? will measure it today and maybe someone on the board can figure it out ;-)

Tree Diameter at 4 ½ feet Number of Trees to Make a Cord Number of Cords Per Tree
5†50 .02
6†20 .05
7†12 .08
8†8 .12
9†6 .17
10†5 .21
11†4 .25
12†3.5 .30
14†2.5 .40
16†2 .50
18†1.5 .65
22†1 1.00
Assume 4 inch top diameter (Based on research by Gevorkiantz and Olsen 1955)

http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource001044_Rep1200.pdf

thanks Solar but... huh? :cheese:

there are 3 here and pretty much the same at 25ft and 2ft across give or take a few inches...

DSC09225.jpg

loon

Loon some nice trees you dragged out, are they for you?

zap

we have the same small stove at the cottage as they have in their kitchen which 1ft cuts fit dandy..

but there are alot of dead elm out there, so this will be cut and split for their burning next year .

its alot of work helping them out but like i said somewhere here before.. they are very nice people and at their age they do need some help..

plus full access to 600 acres is nice ;-)

loon

loon said:
. . .
BUT!! was getting ready to try and get across the border again and the tractor went missing :bug:

DSC09221.jpg

Murphy must of found the key firefighterJake :cheese:

loon

I was scrolling down through . . . knowing that somewhere here would be the famous Murphy driving the tractor! Thanks for not disappointing me.

[/quote]

I was scrolling down through . . . knowing that somewhere here would be the famous Murphy driving the tractor! Thanks for not disappointing me.[/quote]

we do have fun with them ;-)

me and Murphy went and checked out some more fields tonite and this one will be next :)

DSC09233.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.