got it out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
finally took my combustion blower out after 3 years. Wasn't that bad I don't think...
Took some pics of it ( pictures aren't the best)...
Just crossing my fingers it will fire up this winter.

099.gif

101.gif

100.gif

Cris, I hate to tell you this, unless your stove is a positive air flow device that "ain't" your combustion blower, it's your convection blower.

oh, gosh thats what I meant, I was looking at combustion stuff earlier and still had that on my brain....

Chris, get back into that blower with a small brush & get the rest of that dust off the fan blades....even if you have to use an old toothbrush, you need to get all of that off. If left the way it is, you may have the blades out of balance, and it will vibrate & be noisy.....may even wear the blower out prematurely.

What about the combustion blower? have you had that out recently?

Chris,

Don't forget to check the blower for lube ports and add a few drops of 20w oil in them(3 in 1 blue can). X2 what Pete says. The dust will cause a balance issue. I use compressed air and a brush.

jtakeman said:
Chris,

Don't forget to check the blower for lube ports and add a few drops of 20w oil in them(3 in 1 blue can). X2 what Pete says. The dust will cause a balance issue. I use compressed air and a brush.

+1

Chris, once you get all that built-up dust/dirt off the convection blower blades, I think you should see quite an increase in airflow from the stove into the room.....I wonder if this had something to do with the problems you had getting enough heat out of the unit last winter?? 3 years is a LONG time to go w/o cleaning that, IMO.

Hope you clean/cleaned the combustion blower the same way.....remove & wirebrush fins & scrape motor body under fins too.

imacman said:
Chris, get back into that blower with a small brush & get the rest of that dust off the fan blades....even if you have to use an old toothbrush, you need to get all of that off. If left the way it is, you may have the blades out of balance, and it will vibrate & be noisy.....may even wear the blower out prematurely.

What about the combustion blower? have you had that out recently?

Actually, the centrifugal force of the motor distributes the dust on the blades in such a way that it keeps it in balance. However, once you start to clean it make sure you get all of it off. if not, THEN it will be out of balance. If it makes it easier for you, you can take the 3 nuts off the blower guard and get a long allan key wrench in from the side port to take that blower wheel off. Occasionally I'll run mine through the dishwasher.

When you get around to the combustion motor....do not try to take the impeller off, just brush off the blades adn get a putty knife under the bottom.

smwilliamson said:
....However, once you start to clean it make sure you get all of it off. if not, THEN it will be out of balance......

Exactly what I was trying to say.

Is the combustion blower the same as the exhaust fan? I am looking at my parts list diagram, and it doesn't list a combustion fan. If it is than I clean that regularly.

I also leveled my stove back up. The back right corner, side that has circulation fan, was down about 1" I would say. ( hope that doesn't mean my floor is caving in). Not sure if that has any thing to do with performance or not.

chrisasst said:
Is the combustion blower the same as the exhaust fan? ........

Yes, That's the one. You will probably need a new gasket for it. They always fall apart when you remove the fan from the housing. Use a thin putty knife and gradually work your way around the flange.

jtakeman said:
...Use a thin putty knife and gradually work your way around the flange.

I tried the thin putty knife too, the first I ever took an exhaust blower off, and ripped the gasket. Now, I use the VERY sharp Swiss Army knife blade from my pocket.....works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.