Got last weeks Oak bucked up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andybaker

Feeling the Heat
Oct 31, 2008
Northwest OH
I got that Oak that was delivered last weekend all bucked up and stacked up. Now just waiting for some time to get it split. I'll be interested in to seeing how much is here when I'm all done with it. I know it looks like a lot of extra work to stack it like this but I have a few reasons. One, I wanted to get it out of the way so I could rake the saw dust out of the grass. I got two and a half garbage cans full. The other reason is I don't know when I'll be able to get it all split, I don't want it to look too unsightly 'til I get there. Anyway, this is the load I got for $50, I think it looks like a nice load after all.

Attachments

• 100_3900.jpg
    100_3900.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 514
  • 100_3901.jpg
    100_3901.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 502
  • 100_3902.jpg
    100_3902.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 492
Nice! I love watching my scrounge turn into standing BTU's! Thats a nice pile of oak, there,Andy. I'll bet that'll be at least 1 1/2 - 2 cords c/s/s! Not bad for $50. :cheese:

Very nice pile of oak. I would buy that delivered to my house for 50 bucks all day long when you consider the time it takes me to fell and skid that much wood to a flat place that I can split it!

Nice score. I like the the thought of oak and love the way it burns but the thought of leaving it alone for 2+ years after its c/s/s TICKS ME OFF!

WTG Andy nice score on some fine firewood! Is that a cord you have there hard to tell by the pic? In 2-3 yrs. you'll have some terrific BTU's..

Ray

I'm not sure how much is there. It'll be interesting to find out when I'm done c/s/s and then I'll post an answer. The bakery is real busy this time of year so it's difficult to find time to work on firewood in lue of all the extra holiday events also, but my goal is to be done a couple weeks before christmas. If I like what I see I'll go ahead and get more. As I mentioned in last weeks post, I've never bought wood before but I could get use to having it dumped right in the yard and go from there.

Andy, we know what the baking business is like from now until New Years Day. It sounds like you have lots of work to keep you out of trouble. We wish you good luck. Oh, and that is some very nice looking firewood but I hope you don't plan on burning that very soon. It certainly will be excellent when it dries.

Yes Dennis, I've read many times your coments on properly seasoned wood. It'll be two years before I use it, at least. That's the problem with Oak for me, I don't have a lot of space for storage and it takes so long to dry. At first I was hoping that maybe half way through next winter I'd be able to use it but now that I'm splitting it I can tell, it'll be at least two years. Now I've got to find some more Ash for next year. Before I found this site I would to try to burn whatever without much seasoning. Now that I have properly seasoned wood I'm down to about 2/3 of what I use to use and now I get more heat too.

CodyWayne718 said:
Nice score. I like the the thought of oak and love the way it burns but the thought of leaving it alone for 2+ years after its c/s/s TICKS ME OFF!

+1! Great looking pile of wood. Enjoy

Nice load of Oak!

I noticed that your lawn looks well kept... it will be a shame to let that wood sit there and kill the grass.

Yeah, that's alot of wood for $ 50, good score. Some of those rounds look down right HEAVY.

I guess that was the easiest place for delivery? I too would be concerned not to kill the grass. You have a nice yard in a nice neighborhood . Pending work, I'd get it split and stacked out back somewhere. You're gonna have 50 scroungers a day knocking on your door asking for it. Looks like you had a bunch of work just bucking it and cleaning up.

Does your neighborhood have an HOA? Will they give you some grief over a pile that big in the front yard? In my old neighborhood (HOA), we couldn't have more than a face cord rack. We certainly would not be allowed to process a year or two's worth of firewood.

Living out in the country has been much better. I have nine cords stacked in the sun and no one can say jack about it.

Theres a good start....Bet your wife wish it was split and stack in the back yard...lol

Nice looking load of BTU'S, are you the only one in the neighborhood that heats with wood?

zap

Nope, no one else in the neighboorhood burns as much as I do. Once it's C/S/S it won't look like near as much. I don't know what a HOA is but I can guess it has something to do with wood storage. We don't really have any real resrictions here, and I try to keep it looking as good and hid as I can. My wife doesn't really say too much, she knows this is what I enjoy doing, her only complaint is how much time I spend with it, sometimes she thinks it's a female stack of wood :lol: I'm not worried about the grass, I've done this on almost a yearly basis with no trouble, besides, grass is easy to grow anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.