Got Me A Truck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MofoG23 said:
Flatbedford said:
[quote author="MasterMech" date="1331711203"Installing a locking rear diff will change your mind about 2WD trucks Steve.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no locking diff, available for my 42 year old Dana 70 rear. I'm sure it would be a game changer.

:)

https://www.4wdfactory.com/store/products.php?product=Dana-70-HD-Detroit-Locker

I'm thinking about putting one in my K20 as well...

Locking rears do help, but I can tell you in some cases its not a replacement for 4wd - sometimes you need another set of axles pulling. I was very close to pulling the trigger on a 3/4ton 2wd hauler, but I found my K20 last minute. I'm very glad I found the K20 because I pull my wood from some rough area's...would have been stuck without it several times already.

Anyways, congrats to the OP - wish you luck with the truck...glad to see the 5spd as well! That will come in handy when your loaded down...

Check out the Detroit Truetrac differential-
http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/Products...utomotiveAftermarket/Differentials/PCT_221471
unlike others that slam in and out of engagement, it proportions torque to the wheel that has better traction (opposite of an open differential), up to a 3:1 ratio. Had one in a prior truck and they are remarkable at traction even in 2wd.

pybyr said:
MofoG23 said:
Flatbedford said:
[quote author="MasterMech" date="1331711203"Installing a locking rear diff will change your mind about 2WD trucks Steve.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no locking diff, available for my 42 year old Dana 70 rear. I'm sure it would be a game changer.

:)

https://www.4wdfactory.com/store/products.php?product=Dana-70-HD-Detroit-Locker

I'm thinking about putting one in my K20 as well...

Locking rears do help, but I can tell you in some cases its not a replacement for 4wd - sometimes you need another set of axles pulling. I was very close to pulling the trigger on a 3/4ton 2wd hauler, but I found my K20 last minute. I'm very glad I found the K20 because I pull my wood from some rough area's...would have been stuck without it several times already.

Anyways, congrats to the OP - wish you luck with the truck...glad to see the 5spd as well! That will come in handy when your loaded down...

Check out the Detroit Truetrac differential-
http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/Products...utomotiveAftermarket/Differentials/PCT_221471
unlike others that slam in and out of engagement, it proportions torque to the wheel that has better traction (opposite of an open differential), up to a 3:1 ratio. Had one in a prior truck and they are remarkable at traction even in 2wd.

can't find one for a 14 bolt FF 10.5" ring gear... :(

Just got her registered and will be taking her home tonight. Drives like a charm. Cant wait to load'er up.

that 4.3 will serve you very well i am a 97 s10 with 140000 on it motor runs just as strong as when i got it with 80 on it. i love it problem free but the rust is starting to take hold on the body. i really wish it was 4wd though i live in the hills of vermont and unfortunately havent been driving it this winter. 2wd is great when theres no snow good tires and youll be suprised at how much you can get away with. i have just a little more ice in my drive way an the sten will be out and getting wood agian. anyway congrats on the truck youll be happy.

Yea I drove her home 60 miles today and it went very well. drives very smooth. Thanks all for all the suggestions. cant wait to get some wood and wood floors on saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.