Got me a wood thief!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
3fordasho said:
Had a similar situation about a year and a half ago. Actually the wood theft was the last straw after a long string of them taking advantage of my generosity.
I put up a security light that lit up my stacking area and a sliver of light would hit their firepit area. All hell broke loose over the light, they complained to the city and tried to block access to the rear of my property (by blocking the alley). I won on the alley issue the but light had to be turned off. I ended up with 4 security cameras watching my property and the wood seems to pretty much stay in place... I say pretty much because somedays I think the piles have shrunk just a little too much. The cameras have never caught them, but they're not real effective at night. Over this last weekend they had two large bonfires and I never saw any wood in their stack earlier in the week and they always seem to burn till every last piece is gone.... Keep wondering if it's my wood... If they've gotten smart enough to pull a piece here and there from the tops along my 121' long stacks I'd prolly never notice :-(

I've been trying to find a way to mark those top splits so I'll know if some are missing, but not be so obvious that they'll figure it out..... this is the sh** you think about when you have bad neighbors..

Could you just make the security light motion activated? So it will not bother them but will light the stacks if you need it or if anyone else is sneaking around out there?

They make some pretty convincing fake video cameras. Maybe if you put up a couple well-placed signs, that nobody would even see unless they were where they were not supposed to be, "no tresspassing" or "I use this wood to heat my house - if you steal it it's the same as me siphoning fuel from your tank" and maybe "this area under security watch" with the imitation cameras in a couple spots it would spook them off.
Has anyone tried a sign? Did it work?

motion sensing moving fake cam, $5 on amazon, probably junk tho...
http://www.amazon.com/SE-Fake-Surveillance-Camera-Sensor/dp/B000KDVT70
ea971363ada0508ee446e010.L._AA300_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.