Got my 2 cords of "seasoned wood" delivered yesterday...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

k3c4forlife

Oct 30, 2009
Title says it all. Its my first year burning so had to order my wood for this first winter (we closed on the house 2 weeks ago). Got my "seasoned" oak firewood delivered yesterday... 33% moisture reading in the center. Not going to be a fun winter fighting to get this stuff to light.

If you need to burn green wood, anyone have any tricks of the trade?

Thanks,
Kevin

Set it aside for next year or the year after and search out some drier wood. There has to be a better option than wet oak. If not, split it smaller and get your hands on some pallets or framing scrap to mix in. I wouldn't burn it unless you have absolutely no other option.

k3c4forlife said:
Title says it all. Its my first year burning so had to order my wood for this first winter (we closed on the house 2 weeks ago). Got my "seasoned" oak firewood delivered yesterday... 33% moisture reading in the center. Not going to be a fun winter fighting to get this stuff to light.

Thanks,
Kevin

how and why? One of the first of many things I learned here is if you have to have wood delivered do it during the day while you are there and pay by check. One of the more important things I learned is never pay for wood because they will most likely screw
you.

I had mixed success with my wood that I have paid for. Bought 2 cords and about 1 cord was oak in the 20-25% range. The other cord was oak and sycamore in the 30%-Over Limit range. Another cord being delivered tonight from a local guy who swears it is all seasoned :)

Luckily I have been working on a big red maple that has been down for awhile and is splitting at around 23%. Looks like it will end up being about 1.5 cords so I should be fairly good with that and a face cord of dry oak/beech left by the guy I bought the house from...assuming I buy a stove at some point.

You bought OAK from a dealer and thought it would be seasoned?!?!? Eeeeek! You'll be really lucky if that oak is ready for next year. If you're going to gamble with a dealer, look for ash, soft maple, locus, or any other low moisture or fast drying wood. The last wood you want from a dealer is oak... unless you know for a fact that it's seasoned.

You might want to consider trying to trade some of that wet oak for some truly seasoned wood, a CL ad might be useful. Since oak is so desirable, you might find someone willing to trade even for a lesser quality (but seasoned) wood.

BTW, you should have next years wood on hand really soon if you don't want to be in the same spot again in the future...

schwaggly said:
k3c4forlife said:

Thanks,
Kevin

how and why? One of the first of many things I learned here is if you have to have wood delivered do it during the day while you are there and pay by check. One of the more important things I learned is never pay for wood because they will most likely screw
you.

The wood was delivered to my house at 5PM last night. I had planned on being there at 5 to help the guy unload and stack, but got stuck at work for an extra hour. He dumped and stacked the 2 cords behind the house on the pallets I had set up... By the time I got there it was dark and it was pretty much done... Got pretty duped... Its gonna be amazing next year though haha...

I am doing all my own wood for next year. I have 2 cords of wood cut split and stacked. Its all random finds but will be good to go. Next year ill have 4 cords ready... Ive seen a lot of posts about how much the first year sucks. I believe them now...

Wet1 said:
BTW, you should have next years wood on hand really soon if you don't want to be in the same spot again in the future...

+1
Start now! :)

Next year's wood is on hand. 2 cords cut that need to be split in the next week or so. 2 cords cut, split, stacked.

Where you at in NW NJ? Seems to be a bunch of Jersey folks on Hearth.com. I am in Lafayette.

Last year was my first year and we experienced the same thing. All 3 wood sellers we bought from - gave us what I would consider wood that was not yet ready. Mulchmasters off rt 94 had the best wood (oak) but it still wasn't perfect - Price and quantity was good and the owner is a good guy. We bought from a landscape company in Vernon and he had the impression that a pick up made a cord. That was a struggle. He brought me more - but it was still not what I paid for.

We did 2 things:

We'd buy some Hot Stiks (kiln dry fire wood) - to aid in getting a hot fire going and then mix in the less than perfect delivered firewood. It's hard to get that green wood burning. I also would bring in a bunch of fire wood and stack it close to the stove - and this seemed to help - mildly to dry out the wood some. You might be better off setting it aside and finding some dryer wood - as others have said.

You'll be better off next year with your own wood. This year I am burning 4 cords of wood I scrounged and it's so much better. The wood is dry and putting off the heat! I am working on next years wood and have 3 cords split and another in rounds. I am still on the prowl for more scrounging. My best spot is running dry. I may look into the Parks - like High point and Stokes.

Good luck with your wood.

I live in Andover... There are a lot of NJ people on here. Since this is my first year and we are on a pretty strict budget I figured 2 cords would be enough to make it through the harshest part of the winter. I have sweatshirts for March and April ;-)

You looking to trade any? or a scrounging partner?

Kevin

I have a few packages of bio-bricks left over from last year and what I've been doing is throwing one of these in when there is less than ideal wood in the stove. It definately brings the heat up in the stove and helps to better burn the wetter stuff. They're not very cheap but in a pinch they're worth the price for me to not have to keep messing around with the air lever and/or opening and closing the door to keep the flames going.

Sounds like you need to find some dry wood. Suggestions I have seen on this forum include pallets (free from certain businesses), scrap lumber (maybe a lumber yard or furniture place has some), trade some green for seasoned (around here there are tons of people with an old stack of wood with the backyard that is seldom used, and they probably wouldn't mind green wood for the campfire even if they get around to lighting one in the next year), or try to find someone with a dead standing tree and offer to cut and remove it (won't be as dry as you'd like, but gotta be better than green oak). Good Luck.

Split every piece in half - minimum. Smaller pieces will burn better.

k3c4forlife said:

Thanks,
Kevin

Shop around and visit the dealers place see what he has to burn. If he has ash you might be better off for this year as ash is supposed to be lower moisture than 33% when fresh cut. By shopping you might actually find some 20-25% wood that would work. Other wise some bags of charcoal (real expensive) or bio bricks (could be as expensive +/- as charcoal) to mix with your wood or burn fossil fuel this year and use the wood you bought for next year. Or bring some of it into the house to store/season for the worst part of the winter and supplement your fossil fuel consumption. Not a good time to get/have unseasoned wood. Some suppliers may also have access to some dead standing that they might custom cut for your need. MIGHT. Those who say their fresh split seasoned wood is as good as any dead standing either has kiln dried logs or doesn't really know what dead standing is.

Just a thought......Here is my solution. First look for some White Ash as its pretty low in moisture to begin with. That oak is going to be nothing but pure hassle not to mention a waste of money. Burn the Ash this year and save the oak for next year. If your going to burn 24/7 from now on and have the room, get ahead. I have enough wood cut/split/stacked for the next 4 to 5 years. But I'm still trying to look towards the future. I'm personally done doing it myself for health reasons. This is what I have posted on Craigs list. Basically I want to have wood that is seasoned for a minimum of 2 years when I need it. Just a suggestion! Congrats on the new house.

I would like large splits of red/white Oak, Black Locust,Osage Orange, or Hickory.

I will consider some White Ash......

Lengths should be 16" to 18" with splits no larger than 8"x8"Ø no smaller than 4"x4"Ø

Would prefer fresh cut "green wood" and price should reflect it.

I'm in no hurry....but would like to get it before the ground thaws next Spring.

If you can provide me with the product outlined above please email me a quote with your information, type of wood, time line and price.

I pay in Cash $$

No junk, No punk!

Thank you,Matt[/b]

Find a place that needs to get rid of pallets. They're thin and dry. Mix them in with the pieces of oak that you splt down into smaller splits. Pallets got me through my first year.

Matt

I've got some oak that still reads 35 or so and it burns pretty good in a hot stove. It's been dead for 4 years and all heart wood from a huge white oak. I bucked and split it last year and it was very wet. This year a lot of it is still wet, but burns ok. A good hot stove can overcome some moisture.

For sure if I were to try to burn any unseasoned wood, oak would be my last choice! If it were properly seasoned, then oak might be my first choice. With that, I'd highly recommend you try to find some other wood for this year and do as others have suggested.

Do not forget to check your chimney at least monthly!!!

k3c4forlife said:
Next year's wood is on hand. 2 cords cut that need to be split in the next week or so. 2 cords cut, split, stacked.

what kind of wood do you have saved for next year? it may be your best bet

Ya, the more people that post here, the more angry I get with my current situation... I'll figure it out, I always do

The bad news: I think you're not going to have a good year of burning wood if you attempt to burn that oak . . . even by adding pallets, dimensional lumber or what have you.

The good news: It sounds like you're well on your way to a really good year next year . . . the fact that the guy took the time to actually stack the wood says something about him vs. having him just dump the wood in your driveway.

Ya, I have next year set. Looks like I'm buying the wife a new sweatshirt for Christmas... I'll find someone getting rid of wood.

k3c4forlife said:
I live in Andover... There are a lot of NJ people on here. Since this is my first year and we are on a pretty strict budget I figured 2 cords would be enough to make it through the harshest part of the winter. I have sweatshirts for March and April ;-)

You looking to trade any? or a scrounging partner?

Kevin

Can't complain about this weather - pretty mild for November / December. We haven't even gone through a face cord yet.

Sorry, I don't have any to trade - I will need all the seasoned wood that I have and may need to buy some (arg). But I will keep you in mind for scrounging for sure - especially if I hit something that is more than I need or can handle. Last nights wind should have brought down some trees! Man what a storm. I have seen a few trees that look good in the vacinity of Lake Aeroflex - but I am not sure who to contact about cutting them. They are in the woods lake side west of the entrance - it may be airport property ? I am sure someone will get them. I am using a 16 inch saw - so if I see anything big - I will give you a shout. I am almost done with next years wood. I'd like to get about 4 more pick ups full. Then again, I hate to pass up any free wood.

Ya sounds good. I can track down the contact on that wood in Aeroflex. You spotted the wood, I'll find the owner. Lets try to get something set up. I have access to tax map and ownership information through my company (civil engineer). Give me a shout if you find anything nice and I will do the same. I'll let you know what I can track down on Aeroflex. Cell is 973-600-9398, House is 973-786-6464

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.