Got my corn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kappel15

Minister of Fire
Sep 14, 2014
Iowa
Picked up 38 bushel of corn today for 3.23 a bushel. Always like it when I got that yeller gold in house

Reactions: Big papa
Wanting to get some myself but haven't had time

Picked ours up in July just after the 4th as did not know quality or the price. Neighbor dropped about 10 bu in the field in front of our place and used that to prime the Bixby today and fired it up as will be cold in the AM and get back to normal cold temps next week.

I have one pallet of Indecks, and one pallet of Pennywise from two to three years ago. Mixing this corn in will last me a while. But will definitely be getting more corn as it is cheaper to burn then pellets. The last time I bought corn was October, 2009. Bought 126 bushel for 3.64 a bushel. Been burning pellets and natural gas since then. Seems times are always changing.

Got the rest of my corn put away today. Had to buy 3-32 gallon garbage cans and use up most of my buckets and tubs, but got it all put away. Sure miss my gravity wagon for this, but don't miss making a roof for it every year either. I use a mix of two scoops of corn to one scoop of pellets to burn in my Sante Fe. It won't ignite just corn.

Call me crazy, but I ran by my local farmer today and he is selling 50# bagged corn for $7/bag. If i recall that is the same prices I paid him last year. I know prices probably differ from Iowa to New York, but that still seems a bit high doesn't it?

Yes that's high. Local farm stores sell bagged corn for that here as well.

Thanks. I guess i better start shopping around. Its strange because this farmer has always been more than fair with prices. With current market prices, I was hoping to have a fairly cheap winter. Maybe Not!

Sure a nice feeling to have some corn and pellets ready for the cold weather, Last year I was caught without anything ready to go and when winter set in it stayed with a vengeance here. I've learned my lesson been ready for a month now!

Ya, corn here is 3.23 a bushel, and a bushel is 56#, but it fluctuates daily.

I am paying $5 for a 50# bag here in Michigan. I was paying $6 last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.